Re: [xmca] Understanding is no method but rather a form of communication

Martin, Peter

The question of "folk" understanding and how it links up with the
understanding of researchers has profound consequences.
For example the multiple theories &models and systems of "psychology" that
have been proposed and configured over the past century dramatically
impacts the place where I currently work [public schools]

Therefore the models we develop change our history.
Also, on a personal level, engaging with Gadamer, and
other scholars, changes what I *see* and how I interact when I go to  to
work. The "folk" notions of psychology, education and development, when
translated and actualized within academic institutions do change our
conduct.
Therefore the question,
How do the MULTIPLE competing notions of psychology and education develop
and change institutional practices?
This question must engage both "folk" psychology AND philosophical
psychology.

  Scholars such as Gadamer and Habermas are engaging in a serious
conversation about the place of theory and practice and techne as
contrasting notions influencing "folk" psychology as a form of
understanding that is taken for granted.

 Eugene Taylor [who has written a history of dynamic psychology] has
suggested 3 contrasting notions of psychology that are currently in  use.
1] Academic psychology which is biased towards experiment, measurement, and
empirical statistical notions
2] Clinical practices of psychotherapy, which have little overlap to
academic psychology.
3] Psychology which informs self-exploration as a person tries to develop
self-understanding. This 3rd way of understanding psychology is a question
of developing dis-positions, attitudes, or ways of orienting within the
world.

William James, over a hundred years ago, discussed these multiple
contrasting notions of psychology and 100 years later we continue to
generate NEW and novel systems of psychology.
It is THIS hermeneutical process of interpretation and translation [the
multiple theories ans systems of psychology as understanding] which I
believe scholars such as Gadamer can illuminate through reflection on how
our folk psychology, is constantly under RE-vision. RE-search is one method
contributing to the MULTIPLE versions of psychology generated and it is
THIS hermeneutical understanding of how systems of psychology develop which
may shed some light on the practice of psychology [and psyche] as a
historically implicated development. Gadamer would say hermeneutical
understanding underlies all the multiple ways of understanding psychology
as theoretical systems of psychology.

Peter, I'm not sure if "folk" psychology or "folk" education [as taken for
granted understanding] can answer questions of
 WHY is  there a multiplicity of competing systems of psychology?
Gadamer gives a particular answer to this question. I also believe he
offers a model of reflective practice which can deepen the understanding of
critical theory and deepen an understanding of "folk" psychology.

Larry