Re: [xmca] lave in mca

You're not alone Jenna (in all of the ways that companionship can be
assumed in what you wrote).  About violence, even if pegged to consequences
before it is judged good or bad, I find it increasingly difficult to find
my bearings in the territory of "deep social change", much less to judge
the consequences of violence (symbolic and otherwise) I might engage in.

You'll have to take my word for it that the mode of research that I'm
currently engaged in here in San Diego has to do much more with long dureé
relationship building than furiously taking notes.  I am calm about the
very high probability that the friends I'm making, and relationships
cultivating, in impoverished southeastern San Diego will not adequately
make it to published material, and even calmer about the even higher
probability that if they did make it to published material, that the latter
wouldn't loop back around to southeastern San Diego in any actionable form.

Funding structures for grants and departments (to completely ignore the
insane tally of requirements for young scholars to be able to aspire and
compete for post-docs, etc.) are not setup for the long duree --yet if
"deep" anything (from a cultural-historical perspective) is to be found
anywhere, it will be found in intra-actively constituted "actionable"
history.  And yet, with all that, my-friends-and-I do only marginally
better today at imagining mutually enriching projects (and perhaps
possibilities for strategically targeted violence) than when I first
arrived in southeastern San Diego, five years ago!  Alas, the more history
and culture "acquires me" in this work, the more I realize that there are
as many constraints on the non-academic side of the pond as there are back
at UCSD.  Perhaps this is not news to anyone, but it is a sobering
realization (in practice, not by reading Gramsci) that "being in the same
shitty situation" does not lead automagically to shared consciousness, much
less about where action/violence should be applied.

My CV is not long enough, not by a mile.  But the possibility (forget for
now actionability) of deep change takes deep time to run into --that is,
for some unpredictable, and drawn out, combination of social and material
processes to get a hold of, and scaffold, shared consciousness.  So, fill
the CV with BS, cuz (in my opinion) it ain't gonna get long enough fast
enough if "deep" is what it's got to be about.

Anyway, we might share a beer at the over-30-aspiring-intellectual club at
AERA.

Ivan