RE: [xmca] Use of the term 'craft' in Lave’s “Changing Practice”

An interesting thread, though a bit far afield from Lave?
There's a remarkable Jet Li film, Hero, that includes a character who over time works on the calligraphy that embodies his name. The movie script is available at http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/h/hero-script-transcript-jet-li.html and includes what I've pasted in below, which can only hint at the depth of identity that the character's calligraphic symbol means to him, and why he is so deeply engaged with producing it.

So, perhaps it depends on what one means by "writing"? In this film, and the tradition it exhibits, calligraphic symbolism is a whole body, whole soul experience.

Which calligrapher do you seek?
I respectfully request Master Highcliff

Highcliff was Broken Sword

Legend said his skill as a swordsman