RE: [xmca] New Director for LCHC/New Board Member MCA

Mike, let's see if California can keep up with Texas (and if the anonymous Comments are to be believed, Georgia, tho I hope not): http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2012/07/02/the-lone-star-gop-may-stand-alone-on-its-education-views/

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 9:01 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: [xmca] New Director for LCHC/New Board Member MCA

Dear Colleagues-

Two happy announcements:

1. As of this morning, Stefan Tanaka, the historian who has been a part of LCHC in recent years and who has moved his appointment from the history department to communication will be acting director. This change is coming about now as a way of providing space and opportunity for UCSD to find a replacement for me when I retire to become an emeritus professor (and continuing member of the
lab!) a year from now. If
the State does not crush the University of California in the coming year (and it well might) there will be a job opening here a year hence. Stefan would, I am sure, be happy for suggestions of who should take over the lab since he is also director of our local humanities institute and has plenty of work on his plate as it is!

2. Jennifer Vadaboncoeur is joining the MCA editorial board. She comes outfitted with some good ideas about which
        we will be hearing as her time permits.

I am really looking forward to a productive year during which we will be trying to complete a number of long running projects, including the long-delayed upgrading of lchc.ucsd.eduinto xlchc.ucsd.org. Stay tuned.

Meantime, Happy Canada Day to those to the north, and Happy 4th of July to those of you in the US who look forward to a day off.

mike

PS--