Re: [xmca] Culture & Rationality

Hi Peter,

I know less than nothing about the teaching of writing, so yes in that sense I'm changing the direction. I'm trying to figure out the details of LSV's argument that learning to read and write contributes to the overall growth of consciousness and awareness in the school years, such that the higher psychological functions become possible. Specifically, does learning to read contribute something distinct from being taught scientific concepts? Or are these two aspects of teaching somehow part of a single process of development?

LSV emphasized that written language is an entirely new function, one that even at the most minimal level requires a high level of abstraction. It is "speech in thought, in representations"; it lacks material sound; it is "the speech of thinking." David Olson (1982) made a similar case for the power of reading to transform consciousness.  He suggested that what schooling provides is a "metalanguage." As children become literate they begin to differentiate "sentence meaning" from "speaker meaning" - what is *said* and what is *meant*. For example, children between 5 and 8 years of age were told a story in which two children went to a movie and bought and shared some popcorn. Kevin then complained to Susie: "You have more than me." When asked what Kevin had *said*, more than half of the kindergarten children replied "Give me some." By Grade 2, in contrast, the majority of children reported verbatim what had been said and when asked, indicated that they knew what was *meant* as well.
	Olson interprets this growing ability as a consequence of the fact that writing separates the speaker from his or her speech. The reader has to reconstruct what is meant from what is written. In learning to read, the child learns to make the distinction between form and intention, and to reconstruct the intention from the surface structure. They are aided in this by a new vocabulary about both linguistic forms and the various speech acts.
	In contrast, non-literate cultures, Olson claims, have little vocabulary to describe these aspects of form or of intention. One thing that literacy does, then, is help the child become aware of structures and functions that are implicit in oral competence. For example, intentions - beliefs, wants, and desires - are implicit in all intentional action, but children only become *aware* of them when they learn the explicit names for speech acts such as asking, stating, ordering and promising.
	This then is a new level of consciousness that is made possible by the new sociocultural technology of writing, in Olson's view. Plus the new metavocabulary for talking about writing, which is then applied to speech.

Mike, you know this work very well. Has Olson's interpretation stood the test of time?

	On another note, Olson cites Piaget in such a way as to spark again my suspicions that JP read LSV earlier than he admitted. Chapter 6 of T&L was largely a critique of Piaget's (early) account of preoperational thinking. But by 1971 Piaget was proposing - just as LSV did - that the business of school is to help make the implicit become explicit:
	"The pedagogic problem, therefore, despite the progress realized in principle by this return to the natural roots of the operational structures, still subsists in its entirety: that of finding the most adequate methods for bridging the transition between these natural but nonreflective structures to conscious reflection upon such structures and to a theoretical formulation of them. (p. 47)."

Piaget, J. (1971). Science of education and the psychology of the child. New York: Viking Compass Books.

	Just a coincidence?

Martin