From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:06 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Plasticity and Physiotherapy

Thanks Elizabeth (PDF attached).
That gives us the Kuhnian story (with an ethical twist)  of why neuroscience required a fixed machine for its discipline and how the paradigm shift occurred, but what is missing is how it was that outside of the discipline others knew that the brain changed. This is what intrigues me. How a discipline can maintain a fiction about its own object of study whilst outside the discipline people know it is a fiction. I am presuming it has a lot to do with the sociology of science and the status of the various sciences. But I will see if I can find something.

Andy