RE: [xmca] Smolucha - pronunciation/genealogy (Systems of functions & Aristotelian concepts)

Message from Francine Smolucha:
Andy,
Thank you for articulating this point so well.
Just as there are different schools of psychoanalytic thought,there are different approaches to Vygotsky's writings.We can agree to disagree, and hopefully this discussion will lead tonew insights and practical applications.
At the moment, we seem to have four variations on Vygotsky's theory:
(1) The traditional (original) view of higher mental functions as consciously directed by means of the internalized verbal guidance of a more knowledgeable person(supported by neuroscience research on the executive function of the cerebral cortices).
(2) Activity Theory including CHAT.
(3) Anton's new formulation of CHGP (Cultural Historical Gestalt Psychology)which seems to me to be a Cultural Historical General Systems Theory.
(4) Wertsch's Socio-Cultural perspective.
Note: There is a lot of empirical research supporting the traditional approach and it weakens theauthority of Vygotsky's theory in the social sciences and in the field of education,if it is rejected. [Piaget's theory is regarded as having gone through three stages in 60 years, butI do not recall Piagetians attacking Piaget's early work.]