[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[xmca] Fwd: [arlist-l] AREOL: Free on-line action research course
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [xmca] Fwd: [arlist-l] AREOL: Free on-line action research course
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 21:35:53 -0700
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to:content-type; bh=R62huf6CmYjTnKbbhxQ+pcjhWyPrHp+Q1kg2jkH8yxk=; b=WKlqQte/jEoVApsCIsYJ9TRs1IEZWC6OOcw0rxPjZBOURfe+VXg9chep9n5sAh8ceB eedmn8SpNCv+pXPQWmpbsEje/o9//Kvktfb0W89DVPCXP8O6axsquKRhajtsrXfCvHp/ NFAS6EjMkpgWrCBEMo8J+1gKy00/jD2DG/JCLhxw6Oagw1tW1uMsfaVf6/RcViiCh16F 92bvSua78NUIrAOW0UM4GISLyxWrtgf9WcOZ9hY1y/czT6oHpFCsPtqjDVSeNE1I4Mbx +LxPlxRtNM3aUFzeueiC+w/PbWy7bO4P2r2O0iDWDhhStVTJwPEWeXx6cJNGfZhBN9kW 9Otg==
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Looks to be of potential interest to xmca folks.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Dick <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Subject: [arlist-l] AREOL: Free on-line action research course
To: Action research list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Twice a year, ALARA (Action Research Action Learning Assn Inc) offers an
on-line course in action research by email, as a free public service. The
orientation material for the next program will be emailed very late in
June. The first of the 14 weekly sessions will be two weeks after that.
I've included below some brief details. There's a subscription form near
the foot of the email that you can use if you decide to join the next
There is also a course outline on the web at
with links to an earlier version of the course.
Please let me know if you would like any further information.
Warm regards -- Bob
_____ __ ___________ ALARA _____________________________________
/ \ Action Learning Action Research Assn Inc
/ /\ \
____/ /_/ AREOL _____ action research and evaluation on line ____
A free on line course in action research offered as a public
service by the Action Learning Action Research Assn Inc
The next areol program begins in mid July 2012. Conducted over
four months or a little less, its 14 sessions (or thereabouts) will
provide you with basic information about one form of action
As with earlier programs, the theme is the integration of
effective change with rigorous research. In some respects, it is
a combination of the principles of community and organisational
change with those for change-oriented qualitative research,
sometimes with use of quantitative research too.
The program does not attempt to cover all varieties of action
research. Nor does it analyse the philosophy of action research
in any depth. The main intention is to allow participants to
understand some processes which combine action and research, and
which can be used in practice.
Later sessions briefly describe an action research approach to
The on-line sessions are supplemented by archived files on various
aspects of action research and evaluation.
There is no charge (apart from your usual connect charges, if any).
This is provided as a public service by Bob Dick, and ALARA.
You can examine the areol materials on the web. You'll find an
index page at
This will give you an idea of the contents and style of the course.
You can also work through these web materials at your own pace, if
you wish. This is an alternative to the email version. It doesn't
include the discussion group and learning groups of the email
version. Also, it isn't revised as often as the email version
(which I fine tune each semester), so it's less up to date, and it
lacks some of the course material.
If you wish to subscribe to the next email version of areol,
A. read the following description,
B. then send answers to the questions (below)
A. The commitment you are undertaking:
To gain the most from the program:
o read the orientation material before the course begins
o read the sessions
o take part in the accompanying general discussion list each
o help evaluate areol at the end of the program
If you have little time, you can take part in areol with a time
commitment of about 70 or 80 minutes a session (sessions are
mailed about weekly): 20 minutes to read the weekly session; 20
minutes to access the relevant archived resource files; 20 minutes
to take part in the accompanying discussion list; and a little
thinking time. (You may be able to pare this back a little by
being selective about the archived resources you read.)
(Evaluations of past areol programs suggest that this is a heavier
commitment than some participants anticipate. The sessions, each
of about 7000 to 8000 words, are mailed out weekly. The comments
of past participants suggests that, if you do not set aside time
each week you will find it hard to keep up with the material.)
In addition, an evaluation of areol after the final week takes
about 15 minutes.
Beyond this, there are many further opportunities for involvement.
Most sessions describe relevant activities, suggest further
reading, and identify archived files which expand on the material.
B. Subscription details
2. Email address (the address you wish to have the areol material
3. Brief bio (about two or three sentences about your interest
in action research). This will be made available to other
4. Are you willing for any email you post to areol to be
analysed as part of an action research project?
(Your anonymity will be protected unless your specific
permission to identify you is sought and given. There is no
particular research currently planned; this is to keep that
possibility open. There are no disadvantages for you,
whatever you reply.)
+- Bob Dick ---------------------------------------------+
| bd at bigpond.net.au bit.ly/actnrsch bit.ly/bobdick |
arlist-l mailing list
xmca mailing list