Re: [xmca] Fwd: The Privilege of Absurdity

I suspect that the notion of "self-serving" arises from modern conditions where different projects intersect in a "thin ethos" conducive to liberalism (by which I mean individualism, not tolerance). The idea that working for a cause is ipso facto being duped I find a rather distasteful doctrine.

And David, I guess the Scripture that tells orthodox Isrealis that "their Torah study is their work" so they don't have to work or join the IDF is an example in your tradition?

Andy

David H Kirshner wrote:
This is a very interesting question, and I hope others will chime in.
In the current political climate in the U.S. of manufactured science,
spin doctors, and attack ads, it's very hard not to side with Jay that
symbols and ideologies are being deliberately manipulated by elites in
ways that directly serve their economic interests. Even though these
operatives no doubt rationalize their actions in terms of "the greater
good," it seems very difficult to argue that these elites are not
deliberately deploying cultural ideas, symbols, and rituals with the
intent to manipulate the "dupes."
Where the analysis becomes more difficult to sustain is in the case of
"traditional churches and their religions as well as historical and
modern ideologies of more secular kinds" which Jay "would emphatically
include." First, it is easy to concede that many of these institutions
serve the interests of elites. For instance, the Judeo-Christian holy
scriptures make frequent reference to eternal obligations of ordinary
people to the poor, thereby sanctifying class divisions. And in the
Hebrew scriptures, with which I am somewhat better acquainted, there is
precise codification of obligations to the Priestly class--definitely
self-serving, if one assumes it was exactly that class that
wrote/selected the canonical texts. But in the meantime, with the
destruction of the Second Temple, there is no longer a Priestly class in
Jewish theological practice, so it is not so obvious who the "elites"
perpetrating modern Judaism are, or that their intentions are
self-serving.

David