From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Larry Purss
Sent: 23 May 2012 14:21
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Re: Cultural Synergy/Creativity -- And the relation between imagination and creativity

Mike, I hope others participate in a conversation in the difference [or similarity] understanding imagination and creativity.
Do others agree that imagination begins at approximately 3 years of age?
Is creativity and interpretation intimately related concepts?  Would Vygotsky agree with Gadamer that *interpretation* as a process has 2 poles?
On the one hand,
 interpretation implies continuity ans self-identity over time. If the interpretation is NOT the same then it is not an interpretation but a NEW text, unrelated to the first and is not the same.
On the other hand,
interpretation includes a pole of discontinuity and self-difference.
Interpretations are not merely duplicates [the other hand] but GENUINELY DIFFERENT. This might b called the pole of CREATIVITY, since interpretation points to the CAPACITY to generate an essentially limitless number of novel interpretations.  In Gadamer's language, texts, when interpreted invite the limitless novelty of the *unsaid*

For interpretation [and creativity??]  is it essential to maintain the pole of correctness [in interpretation NOT anything goes] and the pole of creativity [there is NOT one single correct interpretation]

If *correct and novel* are relata HOW are they related WITHOUT sliding to either the pole of *absoluteness* OR the pole of *relativism*  What kinds of things can be interpreted [texts, artifacts?]  that INVITE many right interpretations [OF the artifact or text]  BUT still different from it?

Gadamer's dis-position is to *perceive* [metaphorically] this question of interpretation as a GENERALIZABLE QUESTION as it pertains to any occurence that can be INTERPRETED and understood. What KIND of objects [text, occurences,  artifact] is OPEN to interpretation such that it produces OTHERNESS that nevertheless BELONGS to the object. What kind of objects [texts, occurences, artifacts] can be understood?

Is this interpretive process occuring before age 3 or must it wait for imagination to occur? Does creativity and interpretation require imagination?.
How would Vygotsky respond to Gadamer's invitation to explore imagination, creativity, and the polarity implied in interpreting?

Larry.

Does