[xmca] creativity, and metaphor

I wanted to share the insight of V.P. Zinchenko who is reflecting on the
centrality of metaphor in creativity. Not exactly on topic but overlapping
the other discussion on creativity.

Vinchenko is discussing Vygotsky's notion of emotional life and Vygotsky
draws on literary reminiscences and metaphors. Vygotsky wrote,
"Whereas above we compared an idea to a suspended cloud poring out a
torrent of words, to pursue this figurative comparison we would have to
liken motivation to the wind setting this cloud in motion" [Collected
works, Volume 2, p. 357]

Zinchenko then amplifies the centrality of metaphor for conceptual
development when he writes,

Is this not similar to the metaphorical, and at the same time conceptual,
apparatus (it seems to me this is not only possible but, at a certain stage
in the development of science, even NECESSARY) used by Osip Mandelshtam to
describe the field of action of poetic material?  We constantly encounter
in Vygotsky such LIVING metaphors qua concepts such as *a relentless
form-creating attraction* *transcendental drive*  *extraspatial field of
action*  *the prime mover transforming a force into a quality*  *the charge
of being*  *vitalist current*  *vitalist impulse* etc.  In my opinion, the
heuristic role of such "artificial concepts" (the term is Vygotsky's) IN
human knowledge is NO LESS IMPORTANT than the role of irrational terms in
the exact sciences" [Zinchenko, 1999 p.9 of the foreward]

I am attaching the article if others want to read the context of this
exploration of metaphor used in interpretation and understanding.
I apppreciate the insights Zinchenko's horizon of understanding brings to
the conversation.

Larry