Re: [xmca] the wacky world of indexing+Rjukan

Hi,
this is just a short story from Scandinavia. A week ago I gave a lecture on Vygotsky and Play, in Oslo, Norway and then my wife and I spent some days with friends in Telemark. In Rjukan, a small city of Telemark, well known from the film "The heroes of Telemark" (with Kirk Dougas, Richard Harris etc),from the true story about the heavy water-sabotage, which prevented Nazi-German from getting the atom bomb. In that city, Rjukan, you can not only find an interesting museum on The heavy water- thing, but there is also a very special library, called "The red library". During the period of 1917-1936 the librarian Henrik Hjartoy collected "red litterature" from the world. You can find really unique books, collections and small booklets. I could only stay for a half an hour in the library (it was Saturday, and they had in fact closed... ). I found "Unter dem Banner des Marxismus", and chose Jahrgang 3, from 1929. AND !! on page 450 there was an artcle by LS Wygotski (that's how they spelled his name) "Die genetischen Wurzeln de Denkes und der Sprache". Yes, I know the article can be found in some archives, but for me as a Swede (neighbor of Norway) it was a very special feeling to have Vygotsky's famous and important article from 1929 in my hand. Vygotsky was here! In a library in Telemark, Norway, already 1929! Who did read him in those days? What did they do with what they was reading? There were also articles by Luria and Leontiev in the collection... but it was, as i said before, a Saturday afternoon... I had to leave... reluctantly... but if anyone is interested in a tour to Rjukan... please call me.

Greetings from Sweden
Leif