From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Peter Smagorinsky
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 9:34 AM
To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: [xmca] the wacky world of indexing

I was trying to take a shortcut today by looking through the indexes of the 6 volumes of LSV's Collected Works to find sections on his notion of "play." I thought I'd hit the motherlode with Vol 3, whose index indicates a few dozen instances of "play" related topics; but when I checked them individually, it turned out that "play" was indexed any time the word "play" appeared on a page, as in "play a role" or other phrasing having nothing to do with what I was looking for. There are a couple of pages where he talks about play in the manner I was hoping to find something on (229-30), but otherwise it appears to be based entirely on an unvetted manuscript search. Crud.

Peter Smagorinsky<http://www.coe.uga.edu/~smago/vita/vitaweb.htm>
Distinguished Research Professor<http://www.ovpr.uga.edu/docs/policies/iga/DRP-Guidelines.pdf> of<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/of> English Education<http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/english/secondary/index.html>
Department of Language and Literacy Education<http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/english/secondary/index.html>
The University of Georgia<http://www.uga.edu/>
315 Aderhold Hall<http://www.coe.uga.edu/about/directions.html>
Athens<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens,_Georgia>,<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/02/> GA<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)> 30602<http://www.city-data.com/zips/30602.html>

Advisor, Journal of Language and Literacy Education<http://jolle.coe.uga.edu/>