Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

Hi all,

I was reading over one of my draft thesis chapters yesterday and the
following quote from Thinking and Speech suddenly took on new relevance
when I thought about it in relation to this thread. Although Vygotsky's
'direct instruction' is obviously not talking about the DI program, the
sentiment still applies:

… [D]irect instruction in concepts is impossible. It is pedagogically
fruitless. The teacher who attempts to use this approach achieves nothing
but a mindless learning of words, an empty verbalism that simulates or
imitates the presence of concepts in the child. Under these conditions, the
child learns not the concept but the word, and this word is taken over by
the child through memory rather than thought. Such knowledge turns out to
be inadequate in any meaningful application. This mode of instruction is
the basic defect of the purely scholastic verbal modes of teaching which
have been universally condemned. It substitutes the learning of dead and
empty verbal schemes for the mastery of living knowledge.  (Vygotsky, 1987,
p. 170)

By the way Bill, is this one of the Indigenous Literacy programs that has
just had its funding cut in this week's Federal Budget? What happens now?
If there's no longer funding for teaching 'dead and empty verbal schemes',
what will be required to provide the type of education that aims for
'mastery of living knowledge'?

Cheers,
Helen

Helen Grimmett