Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

Many thanks for taking the time to bring the topic of direct instruction
and its adoption
in Australia, back into the discussion, Bill. The issues have sure not gone
away in the
interim!

My own ideas about the acquisition of/ instruction in, alphabetic literacy
were acquired mostly
under the tutelage of Peg Griffin. I have seen kids acquire literacy under
a wide variety of interactional
circumstances including some that I personally eschew such as those I
witnessed at Black Muslim school
in harlem where a bunch of pretty little kids were reading at a pretty high
level although taught in a manner
I have seen fail in lots of other places. Or, in learning upgrade (check
google), a phonics first, bottom up
computer facility online which Juanita Cole (no relation) showed could be
effective with middle schoolers
who had failed to learn to read (and which appears in pretty wide use now).
In each of the successful
cases, my guess is that a variety of factors coincided to make the activity
relevantly meaningful for the
kids.

For the most extensive account of a project which I still really like can
be found at http://lchc.ucsd.edu/People/NEWTECHN.pdf  .

This article has been published in full only in Russian. Not good enough
for the American scene, although
abbreviated accounts can be found in others of my articles.

Thanks again. Very interesting.
mike