Re: [xmca] Alfred Schuetz

Further reflections on the notion of multiple realities

Schultz on page 13 writes,

"In order to free this important insight from its psychologistic setting we
prefer to speak instead of many sub-universes of reality of finite
provinces of meaning upon each of which we may bestow the accent of
reality. We speak of provinces of meaning and not of sub-universes because
it is the meaning of our experiences and not the ontological structure of
the objects which constitutes reality.*[18]* Hence we call a certain set of
our experiences a finite province of meaning if all of them show a specific
cognitive style and are - with respect to this style - not only consistent
in themselves but also compatible with one another. The italicized
restriction is important because inconsistencies and incompatibilities of
some experiences, all of them partaking of the same cognitive style, do not
necessarily entail the withdrawal of the accent of reality from the
respective province of meaning as a whole but merely the invalidation of
the particular experience or experiences within that province. What,
however, has to be understood under the terms “specific cognitive style”
and “accent of reality”? As an example let us consider again the world of
everyday life as it was defined and analyzed in the preceding chapter. This
world is certainly a “sub-universe” or “finite province of meaning” among
many others, although one marked out as ultimate or paramount reality for
the reasons mentioned in the last section. If. we recapitulate the basic
characteristics which constitute its specific cognitive style we find (1) a
specific tension of consciousness, namely wide-awakeness, originating in
full attention to life; (2) a specific epoché, namely suspension of doubt;
(3) a prevalent form of spontaneity, namely working (a meaningful
spontaneity based upon a project and characterized by the intention to
bring about the projected state of affairs by bodily movements gearing into
the outer world); (4) a specific form of experiencing one’s self (the
working self as the total self); (5) a specific form of sociality (the
common intersubjective world of communication and social action); (6) a
specific time-perspective (the standard time originating in an intersection
between *durée* and cosmic time as the universal temporal structure of the
intersubjective world). These are at least some of the features of the
cognitive style belonging to this particular province of meaning. As long
as our experiences of this world - the valid as well as the invalidated
ones - partake of this style we may consider this province of meaning as
real, we may bestow upon it the accent of reality. And with respect to the
paramount reality of everyday life we, with the natural attitude, are
induced to do so because our practical experiences prove the unity and
congruity of the world of working as valid and the hypothesis of its
reality as irrefutable. Even more, this reality seems to us to be the
natural one, and we are not ready to abandon our attitude toward it without
having experienced a specific shock which compels us to break through the
limits of this “finite” province of meaning and to shift the accent of
reality to another one.

Scultz is exploring SPECIFIC cognitive styles with their own provinces of
meaning and stating there are multiple different  cognitive styles.
Wittgenstain, calls these specific cognitive styles particular types of
"language games" and his project was to describe the particular structure
[grammar]behind each of these various language games . Wittgenstein
elaborated the specific grammars articulating particular language games
[cognitive styles as language games]

Gadamer uses the term *play* to explore these multiple types of cognitive
styles or language games.  What Gadamer adds to this topic or theme is the
flowing permeability of the boundaries of the various cognitive styles or
language games.  Each particular cognitive style can be explored as a
particular type of hermeneutical conversation and the structure or form of
the particular style elaborated. Gadamer's project is to ask a further
question, How do these various styles, forms, structures, *fuse*
[metaphorically] into expanding horizons of understanding?  Schultz
emphasizes the disjunction that may result when anticipated experiences are
disrupted whereas Gadamer emphasizes the encounter with the other and
mis-understandings in conversations [dialogue] leading to disjunctions.
When the other's *answer* or *response* disrupts the conversation  this
disruption invites an opening in BOTH horizons of understanding and through
ongoing hermeneutical conversation, *unveiling* of the particular cognitve
styles or language games leads to further expansion of *our* horizons.

Larry