Re: [xmca] Alfred Schuetz

On page 4 of  the article on multiple realities Schultz writes,

it makes us - in our language - either live within our present experiences,
directed toward their objects, or turn back in a reflective attitude to our
past experiences and ask for their meaning.*[7]*

In the same spirit as Martin was reflecting on the *relation between*
realization and instantiation [*play* in Gadamer's language] the either/or
language in the above quote [directed toward objects OR turning back] may
be interpreted *as*  a reciprocal hermeneutical relation of continuous
moving back and forth and interpenetrating with more permeable boundaries
and more dynamic flow [in other words *fusing* of the horizons of  present
experiences and reflective attitude]

As I understand Gadamer, he would suggest Schultz is operating from a
particular prejudice-structure of  understanding reflective conduct
[subject-object reflection] whereas Gadamer is pointing to an alternative
form of what he terms *effective* reflection.  I acknowledge I may have be
*mis*-understanding Gadamer, and what I'm suggesting is tentative, but I am
hearing a particular type of reflection being articulated as I read the
article.

Larry