Re: [xmca] Measuring culture

Hi Larry,
I am intrigued with the passage from  Owen Barfield.

Which book is that found in?

RL

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy,  thanks for this post which I find exploring experience and culture.
> These insights of Dewey's seems to parallel  themes I've been reading in
> Gadamer's perspective on prejudice .
>
> especially the section,
>
> It [experience] is filled with interpretations, classifications, due to
> sophisticated thought,
>  which have become incorporated into what seems to be fresh, naive
>  empirical material. It would take more wisdom than is possessed by
>  the wisest historic scholar to track all of these absorbed
>  borrowings to their original sources. If we may for the moment call
>  these materials prejudices (even if they are true, as long as their
>  source and authority is unknown), then /philosophy is a critique of
>  prejudices/.
>

> I would like to juxtapose, or put in play, these insights of Dewey's with a
> quote from Owen Barfield,
>
> More particularly, it (i.e. pleasure) can be aroused by a language which is
> at an earlier stage of development than the one which is our own, because
> it is the nature of language to grow less figurative, less and less couched
> in terms of imagery, as it grows older.  We notice, we relish figurative
> quality in older language, and we EXPERIENCE this figurative element in the
> same way in which we experience those new metaphors which poets make for
> us. But it does not follow from this (and this is where most of the
> philologists of the 19th Century and the early twenties have really made
> their mistake) it does not follow from this that that figurative element,
> that presence of living memory, that we find in earlier language was made,
> invented, created by the individual genius of a poet.  On the contrary, it
> couldn't have been.  It was simply there in the language as such; it was a
> 'given' kind of meaning, a 'given' kind of imagery.
>
> I also want to bring in Emily's comment posted today,
>
>  I just wanted to call attention to play as in the way play ' plays ' us...
> Gadamer talks about this in Truth and Method, noting that  when we engage
> in in play, play can overtake and seem to become something more that the
> participants.
>
> As I read Dewey's, Barfield's, and Gadamer's notions of experience I see a
> theme of experience and expression as playful.
>
> Larry
>

> More parti
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>
> > Wagner, your post sent me into my book of the writings of John Dewey,
> > where I became happily lost for half an hour. I couldn't find the maxim I
> > was looking for, but this one will do:
> >
> >   "Experience is already overlaid and saturated with the products of
> >   the reflection  of past generations and by-gone ages. It is filled
> >   with interpretations, classifications, due to sophisticated thought,
> >   which have become incorporated into what seems to be fresh, naive
> >   empirical material. It would take more wisdom than is possessed by
> [...]

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.