[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] Education: Thanks Robert Lake
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] Education: Thanks Robert Lake
- From: Robert Lake <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:31:34 -0400
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <CAHCnM0ALztwtxEEGFiqV7NAmSZ+iMxk977p6QCWCErAofirstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAHCnM0ALztwtxEEGFiqV7NAmSZ+iMxk977p6QCWCErAoemail@example.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
I love it when the "strange becomes familiar and the familiar becomes
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM, mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> For some reason your quotation from Dewey struck me just now, Robert, often
> as I have seen it. It got me to thinking along with thinking about AERA and
> its events and face-to-face time. Nice to be able to "see it" at a
> distance, but real time IS real time.
> Here is the quotation:
> *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
> *-*John Dewey.
> We talk a lot about metaphors around xmca and the metaphor of a midwife for
> education is certainly a potent metaphor.
> Would we put up with the success rate for education if that
> social/institution's success rate is less than that of the midewife.
> So what kind of a midwife is education, anyway? Where does the metaphor
> lead us?
> If you pick up some helpful pointers in Vancouver, let us all know!
> xmca mailing list
*Robert Lake Ed.D.
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA 30460
*Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
xmca mailing list