RE: [xmca] Piaget in Vygotsky 1962

I haven't yet. My daughter was in a program listed at http://www.dramaplayconnection.com/ in her teens, and I'm guessing that the concepts overlap. Thanks for the tip. p

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Lois Holzman
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 12:56 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Piaget in Vygotsky 1962

Peter,
Have you seen the Stephen Volan TED Talk? Taking improv courses at Second City transformed his way of being and understanding himself, as did his earlier diagnosis of Asperger's.
Just interested to know what you think of his talk/take.
Lois

Don't forget to check out the latest at http://loisholzman.org

Lois Holzman, Ph.D.
Director, East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy
920 Broadway, 14th floor
New York NY 10010
Chair, Global Outreach for All Stars Project UX tel. 212.941.8906 ext. 324 fax 718.797.3966 lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org www.eastsideinstitute.org www.performingtheworld.org loisholzman.org www.allstars.org http://esicommunitynews.wordpress.com/

On Apr 7, 2012, at 12:33 PM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:

> Greg, I'm puzzled by your autism observation. The increase in autism spectrum conditions (and by calling it a disorder, you buy into the deficit view of mental health difference) is generally attributed to better diagnostic efforts in light of continued research into mental health generally, including autism. I say this as someone on the spectrum (Asperger's syndrome, which runs in my family). I've had one paper published on this topic and have a couple more in press and a few more in the conceptual stage (awaiting time to write them). I'd be happy to share with others any of the following, if you write me off-list. I was supposed to give one at ISCAR but couldn't make the trip; I'll give another at AERA next weekend. p
>
> 	Smagorinsky, P. (2011). Confessions of a mad professor: An autoethnographic consideration of neuroatypicality, extranormativity, and education. Teachers College Record, 113, 1701-1732.
> 	Smagorinsky, P. (in press). Vygotsky, "defectology," and the inclusion of people of difference in the broader cultural stream. Journal of Language and Literacy Education.
> 	Smagorinsky, P. (in press). "Every individual has his own insanity": Applying Vygotsky's work on defectology to the question of mental health as an issue of inclusion. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction

>>> mike