[xmca] Reading Mike's cultural psychology

I've been reading through Mike's cultural psychology book.

There's plenty of good material arranged in a way a found helpful.

Three points I'd be interested in hearing elaboration and, or, confirmation
on are:

1.  The logical typing of the implicit unit of analysis employed (on p. 233
Vai literacy types and filter method as practice types) for the
cross-cultural research where by:

a) The 'unit instance' (data) is not logically comparable to any other data
other than data from the same context.

b) A filter method of approximate testing that the context has not changed,
or that the context is being approximated to the fidelity aimed for.

c) This filter as a recursive means of qualification around the integrity
of the data.

2.  The idea of Lurias method for discovering hidden processes applied to a
very rich activity, with the smoothness of the (implicit, perhaps unknown
to the subjects) base process.

a)  Finding a suitable base process becomes the initial search which
mediates the hidden processes sought.

b) Demonstrating an effective base process would seem to come after trying
out various base processes (i.e. revealing symptoms in useful ways).

3. The use of fictional characters in the 5th dimension.

a) The pretense of communicating with and heeding a fiction/fantasy seems,
to me, to be, potentially, a longer term impediment (both to scaling the
activity to different kinds of knowledge and the longitudinal involvement
of maturing children).  To what degree is the wizard necessary?  Why
wouldn't an equally playful/friendly environment be set up around say a
historically real figurehead?

b) To what degree are the fictions of the wizard a political statement to
the adults/parents of fitting their own fantasies of idyllic fairy
childhoods or is the means of signposting the activities as not needing
adult interference, "this is our world thank you, don't interfere"?

c) As I understand it, urban contemporary children want to get involved in
the world of adults, which they're often denied access to.  Setting up
environments that are child friendly, accessible and pliable for the
children is part of this, though I wonder if sugaring up the central theme
as a fantasy figure goes against this.