Re: [xmca] understanding understanding

I think it's come up here before, but I'd remind us about Dewey's Art and Experience, which was definitely making a move to try to redefine esthetic experience in a less elitist way, to ground it in a universal aspect of human experience, to merge the high-art experience and the craft-practice experience, and generally I'd say to "democratize" esthetics.

In response to some of what Greg wrote here recently, it also struck me that perhaps there is something rather bourgeois about all this personal identity and "I'm the kind of person who does, feels X" reflexivity. Perhaps even a late modern cast to it. It seems to turn connoisseurship into something a bit more decadent, self-centered, pre-occupied with the ego, as opposed to the "ecstatic" tradition (as in ritual and festival, Bakhtin's carnivalesque, Victor Turner's liminality/communitas, Czikszentmihaly's flow), where the esthetic experience takes us "out of our Selves", into the music, the work, the unreflective experience. I think that tradition, however, is predicated more on active esthetic production as the norm, rather than the more consumerist approach we have devolved into under late capitalism.

All this is probably further complicated by the different timescales of esthetic experience. When you perform a piece of music, or a dance, the timescale of action leaves no room for reflection. But when you compose a piece of music, or choreograph a dance, it does. It is certainly a cliche of modernism that the artist, in the downtime between bouts of production or inspiration, turns inwards and broods about the Self. Artist as narcissist. And now we have the art-consumer as narcissist. My idea of the esthetic experience is that it blows us past the ego, blows "us" away, and catalyzes a mode of Being prior to the ego-object divide.

No?

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
Adjunct Full Professor, Department of Communication
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

New Website: www.jaylemke.com