Re: [xmca] adult affordances

Thanks, Greg. While I find Adam's suggestions about integrating this technology into the classroom interesting, and I'm inclined to try it, in both directions - both sending tweets (embedding them into the Keynote presenter notes) and receiving votes (for quizzes and instant feedback; much cheaper than a clicker) - I don't think this is going to eliminate or even reduce cell phone use for non-class purposes.

And my main interest here is not controlling it, but understanding it. How is it that a technology becomes compulsive? Is this why Apple is so successful? And I don't agree with Michael that "technology has finally caught up to our minds." Just last week we were discussing Latour's point that technology came first, and human minds are built upon a technological foundation (or are rocked in a cradle of technology). It is surely the use of this kind of technology that has reduced our attention spans and our ability to reflect, while it has undoubtedly enhanced our abilities in many other ways.

One of which, of course, is communication. Is it the sociality that makes cell phones irresistible? My exams in this course have a social component: students take the exam first individually, then a second time in small groups, ostensibly to gain a small bonus, but from my perspective to turn the exam itself into an occasion for learning.  I wonder whether cell phone use will go down during group work in the classroom (of course cell phones are banned during the exam. Which is not to say...!)  I will try this, and report back.

Meanwhile, any other suggestions about why cell phones turn grown men into toddlers? Or how to distract students away from them? Or how to integrate them into instruction?

I should add, perhaps, that this is a class where the students appear enthusiastic, engaged, and interested. We have discussed cell phone policy, and talked about the difficulties of multi-tasking. Nonetheless, a good number of them seem to need to check for texts every 10 minutes.

Martin