[xmca] Cohesion, Coherence, Commognitive Pluralism

I think my attempt to distinguish cohesion and coherence was...well, incoherent. So I want to try again, and then I want to argue that relativism should be relative and not absolute: different aeas of what Anna Sfard has called commognition behave differently, and some are subject to developmental hierarchies while others are not. Roughly coherence (and by extension thinking) is subject to clear developmental hierarchies, while cohesion (and therefore speech) is not.

As I said last time, Jay (Lemke) is a Hallidayan, and I am too, but rather critically so. The reason I am critically so is that my professor, H.G. Widdowson, pointed out to me that the three "metafunctions" (the ideational, the textual, and the interpersonal) are really not on the same ontological level: ideation and interpersonal relations concern, respectively, subject-object and subject-subject relations, while the textual metafunction is entirely concerned with relations between words.

Professor Widdowson illustrates this with an example which, for applied linguists anyway, is at least as famous as "Flying planes can be dangerous" or "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously".