Re: [xmca] Bateson's distinction between digital and analog

Martin:

No, I'm afraid you don't follow my argument. You are following a Whig history argument that has almost nothing to do with what I was arguing except a very few words, and even these have very little in common with what I meant beyond the way they are spelt.

Take, for example, the word "development". I don't think that development actually feels like progress, or looks like progress, or even is progress, except when we look back at it and see how the child is father to the man. For example, I know that in the Manchester of Engels' time, the life expectancy of working class kids was about seventeen, and when I was living in Tibet the life expectancy of the herdsmen I knew was between thirty and forty.

I was not arguing that development is linear, or that it is fate; that is the worldview of divination and not development. I think development is a process in which we very often solve problems by creating even bigger problems, in which the solutions themselves become problems, and for that very reason the outcome of development always involves something that was not there at the outset.

I was not arguing that we have made progress because we live longer. I was arguing that we live longer because we have developed. In South Korea, for example, life expectancy has more than doubled in a generation; we used to die of famine and war, and now we have the world's highest suicide rate. This is a tragedy, but it is also a very high expression of man's free will, and I think overall the future lies in that direction rather than in the direction of Engels' Manchester or the Tibet of the mid 1980s.

I was not arguing that we make progress because that is what culture does. Actually, I was arguing that the business of culture is culture. But the actual, concrete, material process of being in a culture involves posing and solving real problems (and, as you point out, creating even bigger ones).

I was not arguing that we make progress by "giving up divination". I was arguing that we make progress by giving up the idea of predestination in which divination (and also damnation and salvation) is inscribed and by attempting to exercise free will. Of course, we appear to have replaced it with the idea of luck, and we have even acquired the rather bizarre notion that luck is a personal quality rather than a relationship between a particular outcome and a statistical probability. As we see, the process of culture is replacing old misunderstandings with new ones.

I was not arguing that neanderthals were married off rather than killed (my own suspicion is that a lot of us white people are the result of prehistoric rapes, and I am quite certain that I myself am the result of a rape, and not a very old one at that).

I was not arguing that it was somehow civilized or civilizing to kill the neanderthals either. I was only pointing out that the potentially racist theory that modern man came very recently out of Africa and exterminated all non-African races, especially the peace-loving white European neanderthals, has actually been disproved, and quite recently. It seemed like a good thing to know.

I was not objecting to the way you edited my comments because you misrepresented my views. I was objecting to the way you edited my comments because you misrepresented my intentions. My own views are of little interest and no consequence, and for precisely that reason it is more convenient to portray me as a Whig historian than it is to so portray L.S. Vygotsky.

I am missing the attachment you promised. What happened?

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies