Re: [xmca] Bateson's distinction between digital and analog

Well, Martin, you can drive the car anytime (particularly since I was just hitch-hiking myself)!

The other day I was thinking about the term "defectology", and why it seems derogatory to us. I am almost sure that to a Soviet ear it would be our own term "disabled" that is derogatory, because it implies an absolute lack of ability.

A "defect", on the other hand, can be overcome by:

a) scientific (medical) advances (e.g. retinal surgery)
b) compensatory abilities (e.g. the use of sign language and Braille)
c) eradication of all stigma attaced to a defect and prejudice directed towards the impaired

It seems to me no accident that "handicapped" and "crippled" are past participles, and they both attach to individual ability rather than the body itself, while the Soviet terms ("impairment" and "defect") are nouns and relate to more or less temporary bodily conditions.

The reason I mention this is that it seems to me that there is a similar difference between Levy-Bruhl (and by association Piaget) and Thurnwald, on the one hand, and people like Vygotsky and Arsiniev (the Soviet equivalent of the great Franz Boas) on the other. The former believe in "separate but equal" while the latter believe in togetherness and history, and it is ultimately the latter which is the genuinely egalitarian belief and not the former.

As Martin says, Levy-Bruhl (and later Thurnwald) had a kind of "separate but equal" ideology that Americans will recognize from the days of segregation and South Africans from the days of apartheid. For both of them, culture was functional, and every people develops the culture that it deserves, in the sense that every people develops the culture which helps it achieve an equilibrium between its affordances and its needs.

But Vygotsky utterly rejects this. First of all, he completely rejects the idea of "separate" in "separate but equal". He begins his discussion of divination with--Buridan's Ass (which was a medieval gendankenexperiment similar to our own Schrodinger's Cat, designed to test Buridan's and later Spinoza's contention that free will does not exist because to a rational mind there is always only one possible course of action. He continues with Pierre Bezukhov in War and Peace, who cannot decide whether to join the army or stay in Moscow and try to assassinate Napoleon. These are "rudimentary functions" (in the sense that they have been robbed of the religious context that lends them significance) but they are by no means separate from our own behavior.

Secondly, he completely rejects the "equal" part. Here is what he says about the Kaffir's dream, in Chapter Two of HDHMF:

Р. Турнвальд с полным основанием видит в указанных фактах начало сознательного самоконтроля собственных действий. И в самом деле: человек, впервые пришедший к бросанию жребия, сделал важный и решительный шаг по пути культурного развития поведения. Этому нисколько не противоречит тот факт, что подобная операция убивает всякую серьезную попытку использовать размышление или опыт в практической жизни: зачем думать и изучать, когда можно увидеть во сне или бросить кости. Такова судьба всех форм магического поведения: очень
 скоро они превращаются в помеху для дальнейшего развития мысли, хотя сами на данной ступени исторического развития мышления составляют зародыш определенных тенденций.

("R. Thurnwald rightly sees in these facts the beginning of conscious self-control of one’s own actions. And it is a fact that the man who first cast lots took ​​an important and decisive step towards the development of cultured behavior. This does not contradict the fact that such an operation kills any serious attempt to use reflection or experience in real life: Why bother to think and learn, when you can simply see what you dream, or roll the dice? Such is the fate of all forms of magical behavior: very soon they become an obstacle for the further development of ideas, though at one stage of the historical development of thinking they constitute the embryo of certain trends.")

Levy-Bruhl sees no real history, only an eternity of difference extending in both directions. Vygotsky takes a developmental view of difference. Yes, it is a bad to be poor and hungry and to lack the means of adapting your environment to your needs. No, it does not in the least imply that things will always be that way; quite the contrary. There are no permanent defects, just as there are no eternal assets.

On the other hand, Vygotsky, unlike Levy-Bruhl and Thurnwald both, rejects functionalism: the purpose of culture is not adaptation to the environment, but rather the imaginative reconstruction and then revolutionary transformation of the environment, and with respect to THAT great work we are all, more less, stranded in the past, just as we are all differently defective.

It's instructive to compare Levy-Bruhl (who apparently never did a day's fieldwork in his whole life) with Thurnwald (who apparently started a minor war with his "fieldwork" in New Guinea and later became a missionary in Africa) on the one hand with Arsiniev on the other.

Arsiniev, who Vygotsky quotes in HDHMF (the story about the lynx claw), was born iin Petersburg, but he joined the army and when the Civil War came he found himself Comissar of Minorities in the short-lived independent Soviet Republic of the Far East.

Arsiniev's friendship with a hunter-gatherer called Dersu Uzala was later made into a film by Kurosawa. When his republic joined the Soviet Union, he refused to go West and stayed with his friends in the East, learning languages and gathering specimens. They had civilized him.

When he died, though, his wife was arrested and shot as a Japanese spy. His daughter disappeared into a camp.... There is a small city named after him today. "Western Civilization? Hey..if they would agree, I would not say no..."

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies