Re: [xmca] Mike Rose on academic-vocational divide

David and Martin:

Huge questions. I will try to respond briefly, with the understanding that there is more to say behind each response but that I don't want to write another huge chunky message unless others speak up.

a)  Why are LPP/Communities of Practice and CHAT theories adaptable to labor education? LPP/CofP because the "practice" of the community is first and foremost earning a living; welders earning a living, actors earning a living, nurses earning a living, etc. The various disciplines or topics like labor history, law, workers rights, economics equip the members of that community better for making a living.  A CofP comes into being when you get people coming together around a collective purpose and where teaching and learning (in apprenticeship or direct instructional modes) are how the community perpetuates and regenerates itself by bringing people in from the edges (peripheries) and developing them into leaders or experts. While high technical skills are important, the "academic" subjects are essential. Think about public school teachers as a community of practice, for example.  What kind of teachers are they if all they know is classroom management, lesson plans and their own topics? It's what they also know about the social status of teachers, teachers organizations, the different economic lives of their students, neighborhoods and cities, the various levels of governance of our education system, the history of our system, etc that makes them into a sustainable community that has norms and can exert some power. So, in order to move from being a just a crowd of people with comparable skills into being a community of practice, you have to make the links between the CofP and the world in which it is situated.

One of the limitations of CofP theory is that it is inward-looking.  Lave has not spent much time looking at the interactions of CofPs with the world around them (although I gather she's working on new books right now). CHAT (especially Activity Theory) gives labor educators a way to map the components of the activity system of a given group of workers. You can use the points on the famous triangle to talk about who the community is out of which the division of labor takes place that brings certain people into the forefront of an action; you can talk about the history, customs and laws that constrain or enable them (all these terms are points on the triangle); you can talk about what resources they have -- technology, language, equipment, tools -- and you can talk about the purpose or motivation of the system.  If you do a little legerdemain and assert that the community of practice (say, bus drivers in a big city) is just another way of looking at an activity system (or vice versa), then CHAT gives you a way of looking outside the CofP at what its world looks like, especially any other activity system (such as the city transportation authority that has refused to bargain in good faith for the last few years, as in Chicago) that it may be struggling with. And you can map that activity system as well.

So, you're not just talking about the skills the bus drivers have to have in order to drive the buses; you're talking about the knowledge, or learning, or wisdom or whatever that they have to have in order to  earn a decent living by driving the bus.

2. How does bringing in economics bridge the academic/vocational divide? As I described above, "economics" is shorthand for the broad range of academic disciplines that back up economics (although not, apparently, classical free market economics, which appears to be history-free). Well -- first, this divide is an artifact of the educational system which created it by appointing some courses "academic" and some "vocational." So it doesn't necessarily have to exist in the first place. It has no basis in physical/biological reality. Second, as Mike Rose explains, its persistence and gravity are the shadows cast by the way it coincides with long-embedded assumptions about education and social status -- academic/elite/"knowledge workers"  vs vocational/working class/manual workers. The vocational/academic divide fits in nicely with comforting thoughts about how well our system, inequalities intact, functions.

However, what happens when a class of bus drivers show up and want to know how to respond to employer proposals to cut their healthcare benefits?  Immediately, we're talking about the cost of health care, the Canadian single-payer system, the politics around Obama's healthcare legislation, where the money actually goes (which means the salaries of CEOs and thus the accelerating economic inequality in the US and globally) as well as comparing how other employer-based healthcare plans get negotiated -- and this is just background to developing their own proposals, or counter-proposals, training negotiators and preparing to explain the outcomes to the membership. What's this got to do with learning to push a loaded bus through traffic? Lots.

One of my favorite questions to get a class of super-high-tech electricians arguing (many of them are married to women who are school teachers or nurses): "Why are you guys paid so much and your wife the schoolteacher is paid so little?"

I like David's question number b), too, but I think this is too long already. I would like someone else to tackle c).

Helena Worthen
helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
21 San Mateo Road
Berkeley, CA 94707
Visiting Scholar, UCB Center for Labor Research and Education
510-828-2745