Re: [xmca] MCA Featured Article by Mike Rose

Like Jenna, I am enjoying the thread enormously and like her I am a little perplexed by the way it seems to touch and tangle the other thread without actually joining it.

On the other thread, it turns out that the problematic word in "higher psychic functions" is neither "psychic" nor "functions" but actually "higher". David Kirshner apparently wants us to believe that the distinction between us and our animal cousins is a) imaginary, b) late arising, and c) the product of the formation of the imaginary SELF rather than the formation of societies and cultures.

All three seem completely wrong to me, and I think they are each in their own way expressions of a lack of faith in the power of what social collaboration and cultural ideology can do. This is understandable and perhaps even inevitable, given the current period, in which both appear to have largely collapsed.

It is also inevitable that when people announce that they belong to a certain social community or a certain class by virtue of a particular life experience that the response should carry a certain skepticism, and that that skepticism should be attached to the announcer's personal motives, and even to the announcer's own view of his or her personal motives. Why is this personal information relevant? What is the announcer trying to say?

Jenna--it seems to me that the reasons for skepticism--and the reasons for relevance--and the reasons for the crucial importance of these delicate distinctions (e.g. between higher and lower functions, between developmentally inert skills and revolutionizing forms of knowledge, between voluntary class membership--which is NOT simply self-identification--and involuntary class membership) are one and the same. They have to do with reversibility, with choice, and ultimately with free will.

What is new and novel about the higher functions is not what they do; verbalized perception, for example, just accomplishes in a complex, mediated, roundabout manner what used a farly straightforward naturalistic operation. As Rob says, mathematical skills applied to spot welding simply come up with the same results as manual ones (see, for example, the widespread use of robotics in welding).

A young man, the son of two academics, leaves a high school in Minnesota without graduating and gets a job in a pineapple cannery in Honolulu, for no other reason than it is as far as possible as he can go from home and still get a job. Through legitimate peripheral participation, he becomes a welder. He is structurally, functionally, and even microgenetically (though not ontogenetically) just a welder; no different from all the other welders on the line, and he likes it that way.

What is different is that in each case the "higher" choice is voluntary, precisely becaue there is an alternative, where once there was none. On the face of it, we have a distinction that makes no real difference, and that, plus the reversibility of the higher choice, may make the actual distinction we are talking about seem illusory. It is easy, and even objective, to say that an academic job is not really different from an industrial one, in much the same way as a second language is not really different from a first language.

But a second language really is different from a first language, and it is different precisely because it is freely chosen.There are certainly many distinctions without differences in our culture which are illusory and should be treated with skepticism (e.g. as Mike Rose says, the non-difference beween skilled and semi-skilled labor). This isn't one.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies