[xmca] "higher psychic function"

Dear All
I'd be very interested to hear your views on how to edit/reword/rewrite the phrase "higher psychic function" in relation to Vygotsky's CH theory so that it be best read/understood/accepted by educationalists (more specifically, science education researchers)? I'm happy to engage off-list if this query is better treated that way.
Thanks a million
Colette

Dr Colette Murphy
Senior Lecturer
School of Education
69 University St
Queen's University
Belfast BT7 1HL

tel: 02890975953

“Why is it, in spite of the fact that teaching by pouring in, learning by passive absorption, are universally condemned, that they are still so entrenched in practice?”
                                                                                    John Dewey Democracy in Education 1916, Page 46