Re: [xmca] dynamical sensory motor minds

Hi Monica,

I enjoyed reading your response and further reflections on this fascinating
topic of the "ravine of incommensurability" or chasm between understanding
the internal and external.  The concept of "auto*bio*graphy" as the 3
domains or levels that make up our "human nature" is a way I attempt
to grasp the intricacies of all 3 aspects that must be considered.  The
"auto" or UNIQUE self [that ceases to exist at death] is as fundamental as
"bio" and "graphy" are to exploring how we express our "selves" through
movement as dwelling in the world.  Monica, your description of
phenomenology, when you wrote,

  "phenomenology as a method of inquiry is not just about the first person
subjective idealization, but about "expression". I would go even further
and say that phenomenology is about the universal and empirical reality of
development and first person subjectivity is a fundamental part of
expression and activity."

is focusing on phenomenology as "reality of development". I absolutely
agree that first person subjectivity is a FUNDAMENTAL PART of expression
and activity.You then suggest our current notions of ideas as "abstract
universals" cannot be measured scientifically to prove they are real.

In your words,
"For me the ravine is more symbolic of "incommensurability". This is the
real chasm between understanding the internal and the external. What is
real and how can it be measured, divided up, and talked about? This is a
malady of the human condition, that has played a strong role in our value
of old epistemological arguments. In the Western Tradition, probably going
back to Plato, our fascination with the origin of the Ideal as external to
the individual. It is echoed in Kant as a priori knowledge. It reverberates
through nativist arguments about the origin of conceptual knowledge,
acutely in the Chomsky’s proposition of univeral grammar and the language
acquisition device.   I sense a paradigm shift reminiscent of Kuhn. If
ideas, our knowledge of abstract universals, don’t come from our human
condition by divine right, and scientific method can’t systematically
measure them and prove they are real, we have no choice to inquire about
them outside of established paradigms."

The question then becomes "Which paradigms offer promise as a way to "see
through" our current frameworks? Paradigms that do NOT appeal to "divine
transcendent" explanations beyond the world OR appeal to measurements OF
what already exists previous to our measurements and only needs to be
verified and categorized as previously existant]

 Monica, you suggest one model or theory, as an alternative paradigm that
may hold promise, is "dynamic systems theory" which is  attempting to
explain "mercurial microprocesses" within the brain and also "sedimented
macroprocesses" within activity as developmental phenomena being expressed
at radically different time scales [Bateson's definition of CHANGE].  You
wrote,

 (3) by the concurrent activation-state of your entire neuronal population,
a complex factor that reflects your cognitive activity immediately
preceding the present computational interaction” (p. 19). Churchland makes
a case for the brain’s dynamical system as complex, capable of a great
range of possible and unpredictable behaviors , and decidedly nonlinear.
His argument for the difficulty of studying and understanding these
“mercurial microprocesses”  sounds much like the difficulty of study
activity in activity theory.

Monica, as I read your response it triggers
further questions on which models, theories, or paradigms we "use" that
consider "auto" "bio" & graphy" as a UNITARY process.  I share with you a
committment to NOT loose sight of [or stop hearing] the "auto" as the
UNIQUE [romantic] aspect of our autobiography.  Cultural historical theory
is developing my awareness of the centrality of BOTH the "bio" and "graphy"
but I have the urge to add perspectives from "romantic studies" that
embraces the UNIQUENESS of each PARTICULAR situated human being. As I focus
on the "auto" am also struggling not to fall into the trap of envisioning
the "encapsulated self" as separate from "bio" and "graphy". However, I
also want to avoid dissolving the "auto" into "biography".

Mike and Etienne's exploration of gaps and gap filling as central processes
connecting SELF and world, is one more piece of the puzzle that I see as a
phenomenological exploration of movement [activity??] as EXPRESSION that is
FUNDAMENTALLY a movement OF auto OF bio OF graphy.   Monica, your question
of how the internal BECOMES external and the external BECOMES internal also
brings in the question of "boundaries" or "borders" BETWEEN the internal
and external.  How do we describe or explain these boundary MARKERS.  Do
these MARKERS "exist" or are they cognitive constructions of  analyzing and
differentiating "minds" which differentiate phenomena FROM  PRE-existing
UNITY [gestalten]??

One particular example questioning the existence of PRE-EXISTING boundaries
of internal and external is the development of "writing" as a particular
cultural historical FORM or MEDIUM  that CREATED NEW boundaries OF internal
and external that previously did not "exist".  With these new forms "of
differentiated knowing" come new forms of "self" and new relations of "self
AND world" that previously did NOT exist.

I still wonder though if the "auto" of autobiography ALWAYS exists though
how "I know" auto changes through historical time.  The internal and
external are fluid boundary markers historically. I also would suggest the
boundaries of internal and external are fluid markers within  ontogenetic
development.  The question then becomes do internal and external markers
fluidly change from moment to moment in forming gaps and gap filling. In
other words, are the boundary MARKERS  differentiating the internal and
external, in actuality IMAGINAL processes or images [auto] that are THEN
expressed or given "voice" [externalized] AS CREATIVE ACTS [graphy].  From
this perspective the UNITY of phenomena is PRIOR TO the differentiating
which makes a difference. [Goethe's unitary gestalten].

If these notions have any relevancy then the question returns to what KINDS
of persons are FORMED within different "mediations" of "self" and world
within particular cultural historical periods.  The Enlightenment shifted
the boundary MARKERS from the "divine" as "transcendent" and gave
legitimacy to a new boundary marker [the encapsulated self] The self that
validates "self-assertion" and "self-mastery" and finding "one's authentic
VOICE" and an encapsulated self BOUNDED by recognition. [The perspective
Greg is challenging]

The existential "auto" is often confused as THE phenomenological
perspective.  However  phenomenology [and continental philosophy] also are
developing an alternative tradition expressing "auto" as fundamentally
dialogical [expression AS ANSWERING or RESPONDING TO world and other]
Gadamer, Merleau-Ponty, Buber, Shotter, Bahktin, are expressing THIS
dialogical phenomenological tradition.  These philosophers each in his own
way challenge Husserl's "transcendental pure consciousness" and refocus
EXPRESSION as "auto" AND "bio" AND "graphy" AS A UNITY.  For analytical
purposes we may separate auto*bio*graphy into distinct domains [as a MAP]
but the map is NOT the autobiography.

In summary, the internal, external, and the IMPLIED boundary MARKERS as
developmental processes which "mind" EXPRESSES culturally and historically
[as differences which make a difference] are multiple and plural forms
[maps?] mediating dwelling or moving within the world.  My bias is to
suggest that "auto" is a CENTRAL and FUNDAMENTAL domain that cannot be
ACTUALLY SEPARATED FROM autobiography, but can be "analytically separated"
when composing "maps" of self within the world.  This is a middle way which
neither reifies the "auto" as prior to or pre-existing biography or
dissolves "auto" into biography.

I share with Greg the understanding that the way of "self-assertion" and
"self-mastery" must now be questioned developmentally.  As a response to
the processes of the Enlightenment, where we turned away from divine
transcendence, self-assertion and self-mastery may have been an
understandable RESPONSE or answer to that time eriod. However, the costs of
valorizing this particular form of self identity have  become cancerous,
and destructive. Monica, new paradigms, such as dynamic system theory and
dialogical/hermeneutical relational perspectives are EMERGING.  These new
paradigms are EXPRESSING how bankrupt our current common sense notions of
the encapsulated "auto" have become. As we develop new models and theories
I hope the notion of "auto" becomes re-configured but NOT dissolved into
bio*graphy

Larry