Re: [xmca] Death and dying

Hi Greg ,
 I'm going to watch the film showing next week - but I thought that the
quote you make was spoken by Von Glaserfeld - and he was saying that he
sometimes 'caught himself' - as exception from the way he thinks in his
world- thinking about 'things': when his radical constructivism is to not
do so (i.e that which is 'named as 'thing' is in process and dynamic
construction - in relation). e.g Archives de Psychologie vol531985.
 he drew upon Vico and in that article gives an explication of 'Vorstellung
- which I happens to be talking about with someone else this week and
commented:

Mention of Vico brought semblances of others’ writings on
Goethe/Hegel/Marx, and looking up Vico in the Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy, the lineage goes back further, and also forward to Croce – who
was critiqued by Gramsci. The way von glaserfeld brought out the notion of
Vorstellung to explicate Simmel’s meaning, makes central a reading ‘of an
idea’ as an imaginative act, rather than an ‘iconic replica’  representation
of some*thing* in the world.  He relates the importance of this distinction
to orient towards  ‘preference’ in form of thinking arising through its
functioning in the context in which they arise – or their ‘retention’
‘insofar as they turn out to be *viable* in the contexts of the organism’s
activities’

He is critiquing separation of subject and object and draws upon Vico's
'pleasing relations' in a way of meaningful abstraction.
Here's the flyer clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7hOMAGEB7Ko

Christine.