Re: [xmca] Bruner on Vygotsky

I'm not too interested in the Bruner-Dewey discussion as such, but someone else who is doing good things with literacy education among indigenous Australians is David Rose.

He and I had an interesting discussion recently, started because his approach has recently been taken up in some areas of Africa, but finds itself confronting US projects that are pushing "Phonics" (which, like Abstinence, is one of our religious exports, since, as with baby formula and cigarettes, it's getting harder to sell domestically).

He comes more or less from the Halliday tradition, and has a LOT of experience, and success with the populations he works with. I attach a report he sent me last month.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
Adjunct Professor, Department of Communication
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

New Website: www.jaylemke.com