[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] speaking of rocks and cathedrals
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] speaking of rocks and cathedrals
- From: Andy Blunden <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 12:58:41 +1100
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <CAHCnM0AFRRJ_Nb7ZsbN1DY-E+nbK+Z2tfJLXmjX1BXn1JK5X7w@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAHCnM0AFRRJ_Nb7ZsbN1DY-E+nbK+Z2tfJLXmjX1BXn1JK5X7w@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Thunderbird 18.104.22.168 (Windows/20090812)
Well, it becomes an ideal I guess.
And on that I beg to differ with just one of Haydi's dot points.
Haydi said: "Ideal , when reified, is no longer ideal."
I would have thought that when an ideal is reified, then it attains the
most stable of all possible forms of reification. That pile of rocks, if
exumed 2000 years later, may still exhibit the properties of a cathedral
if the thought was put into action by Saint Exupery.
For 2012, I guess I look forward to the deepening economic decline of
Europe and the US putting pressure on China to stimulate its domestic
market, and thereby lend more power to the rising tide of resistance
among ordinary people demanding the rule of law in their country. And I
would dearly like to see Syria join Libya and build something worthwhile
from the ashes of their previous efforts to shake off imperialist
domination. And it would be good to see Iran join the Arab Spring too.
And keep the US the hell out of intervening in that country.
mike cole wrote:
I want to join the voices for wishing all "present" the best of fortune in
the new year. We now reach from Invertebrates to God in our modest
explorations of the processes of human development. :))
The following thought came to me in thinking about what ensues if one
accepts the invitation to imagine
what will happen in the next year -- what you hope for, what you fear, what
you could not expect and so
can't think about. It is from St. Exupery.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates
it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/antoinedes161736.html>
Its an interesting thought, but "negative" in the sense that it tells us
what a rock ceases to be but does not
specify what it has become "the moment it a single man contemplates it."
It seems apt to the discussion.
An awful lot takes place in that moment!
Happy New Year,
Joint Editor MCA: http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hmca20/18/1
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/
xmca mailing list