Re: [xmca] An indigenous perspective on the American Thanksgiving

> "During the feasting, the hacked-off heads of Natives were kicked through
> the streets like soccer balls."

While statements like the above are provocative, to say the least, the most
interesting part of Four Arrows's letter for me is this bit on cognitive
dissonance and facts-versus-claims:

The unavoidable bumping into claims (*we* prefer not to call them "facts")
> about the true history of this (Thanksgiving) celebration likely causes
> some degree of CD.

The "we" in this case refers to many American Indian elders, who commonly
"offer respectful humor and encourage laughter when someone is suffering
through CD," defined here as "a conflict between different perceptions that
we hold."  It seems, then, that one strategy for coming to grips with (if
not quite embracing) cognitive dissonance is to re-cast "facts" as "claims"
in order to loosen their dominant grip on one's mind...in order to
entertain new ideas or claims.

It's hard for me to judge this strategy as wise or not, but it's certainly
interesting.  And I wonder whether this topic - *re-casting facts as claims
to aid the embracing of cognitive dissonance* - has been covered here -
what Vygotsky and y'all have said about it.  I would imagine it's been
discussed, but I'm rather new here, so thanks in advance for any