Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

Thanks for the references, Arturo.

It might be worthwhile for those interested in the Vygotsky-Bernstein-CHAT
issue, I would suggest googling Bernstein at the lchc site. There ought to
be some messages on the topic from Harry back in their somewhere.

Re Christine's message in this thread.

What I take to be the topic here is the importance of incorporating the
"larger" socio-economic-political context and its history in mind in
seeking to development a socio cultural-historical activity theory (now
there would be an acronym for you!) of human development. Arturo is
suggesting that Bernstein can be useful in thinking about that issue. In
what i know of the work that combines these traditions, but my knowledge
has been restricted to projects that carry a hybrid Vygotkian/Bernshteinian
beyond the classroom. Arturo has provided some refs.

Clearly there are big questions of HOW to bring the larger contextual
factors associated with, for example, social class, economic conditions
nationally and
internationally, etc.

If articulating strategies for such a research endeavor seems an
interesting topic for
discussion on xmca, I again would suggest that someone round up the relevant
materials in the archives. We could think of it these terms, applied
refexively:

If you want to understand behavior, you must understand the history of
behavior.
(anon, nd).

Might even be a good article for Theory & Psychology or MCA in it! :-)

mike