Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

Hi Deb,

I cannot refer right now to all the issues brought by Mike, Ivan and
Larry. Suffice to point out that I have been working on a hybrid
between CHAT and Basil Bernstein's sociology of education. I will as
soon as I can address those issues. They represent one way to go about
analysing the connection between macro and micro structures.

What I see is a complete reshaping of pedagogical identities. Perhapst
Bernstein's language of description may help in analysing the
reshaping of those pedagogies. Plus, his "coding theory" provides some
empirical tools to go about linking power and discourse.

Just a brief intro to identities, taken from Doherty, in which she is
interpreting Bernstein in a context that might be familiar to all of
us http://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/223123/Doherty.pdf

A ‘retrospective’ orientation seeks to recapture and restore the past
in the present, and is pedagogically realised in tight control over
the inputs of education – putting the brakes on change, so to speak. A
‘back to basics’ push would constitute a retrospective orientation. A
‘prospective’ orientation reflects the neo-conservative effort to
undergo change in order to retain desirable aspects of the past in
conditions of the present, controlling inputs and outputs. The US
curricular reforms following the success of Russia’s Sputnik mission
would be an example of a prospective orientation designed to restore
US supremacy. These two orientations are considered ‘centred’ because
they are driven by top-down policy and aim for convergence, that is,
uniform outputs, whereas de-centred identities encourage divergence.
Centred orientations can also be read as shaping education as public
goods, while the de-centred orientations construe education as more
private, or positional goods for the individual. A decentred,
‘therapeutic’ identity is premised on progressive theories of personal
development and constructs multiple ‘presents’ through personal
identities. The Australian curriculum in the 70’s, post
the Karmel report, went down this path, with more attention paid to
‘realising the individual’s potential’ and diversifying schooling to
meet local needs. The de-centred ‘market’ identity is
competitive and contingent as it responds to market values and market
opportunities as they arise – ‘the transmission here arises to produce
an identity whose product has an exchange value in a
market ... the identity is a reflection of external contingencies’
(2000, pp. 69-70). The offering of Steiner, Montessori and IB programs
as curricular alternatives with the choice left to the family
produces such ‘market’ conditions for the play of ‘reputational
difference’ (Labaree, 1997, p.52). It is argued here that the market
identity is essentially an empty signifier, contingent on external
conditions, through which the other identities can speak, according to
their ‘market value’ or desirability in the economic, political and
cultural fashions of the times.

Another example in Johansson, where she analyses the teaching of Maths
in Sweden:
http://pure.ltu.se/portal/files/4644970/Johansson_MES6.pdf

Overall, these identities are the result of the recontextualisation of
knowledge by educational organisations and are functions of degrees of
insulation between categories and agents (power) and principles of
control (who controls what). Thus, the intervention model presented by
Yrjo is quite different to the proposed mutual appropriation model,
and they would entail differences in terms of how the upper and lower
reaches of the ZPD are constituted.

Also check Daniels (for a better metatheoretical proposal of
integrating Berstein and CHAT).
http://orgs.man.ac.uk/projects/include/experiment/harry_daniels.pdf

Best

Arturo

On 14 November 2011 05:19, deborah downing-wilson <ddowningw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ivan has captured my thinking perfectly - I don't believe that anyone
> involved the project we discuss here would deny that it has taken on a life
> of its own that at this point in time defies our efforts to explain it.
>  I might add that the term "mutual appropriation" was chosen precisely
> because of its several rather ambiguous implications. Yes, all of the
> players appropriate  parts of the project in pursuit of sometimes mutual,
> sometimes disparate goals, but it is also true that a culture of acting in
> ways that are mutually appropriate - or that feel like the right things to
> do for the good of the group - has evolved.  My feeling is that this
> culture is not only shaped by larger social systems and forces but by the
> collective affective investment - perhaps encouraged by the obvious
> differences in resources and influence - but this should be interpreted in
> light of the fact that virtually all of the UCSD players know that we take
> away far more than we bring to this table.
>

> Deb
>
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Ivan Rosero <irosero@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Arturo, two things coincide for me in reading your email:  1) I've been
>> working for the last 4 years in the same collaboration that
>> Lecusay,Downing-Wilson,Cole have written about, and 2) I too share the
>> following concern:
>>
>> ----
>> CHAT keeps operating with a process and methodological
>> ontology whereby the individual and the social are inseparable but
>> does not provide a clear cut language of description of how the social
>> structure shapes activity or, to put it in Seeger's terms, how power
>> shapes discourse (and consciousness and identy).
>> ----
>>
>> As the authors have described, the community setting in which this latest
>> of LCHC's projects has unfolded does not permit even the relatively loose
>> structures that were the hallmarks of previous 5D projects --this is where
>> the ad-hoc stumbling upon interesting things to do together is such an
>> important component of the dual sense of "appropriation".  In the social
>> space that has been created between LCHC and Town and Country there exists
>> (as I have experienced it over the last four years) an enduring liminality
>> that refuses to come to closure --neither LCHC participants, including grad
>> students, staff, and undergraduate students, nor T&C participants have
>> arrived at any definite position vis a vis what we are doing together.  The
>> kids get older, new ones arrive, some teens have left, club and group
>> structures change, entire families move out.  UCSD's side of the story is
>> more predictable in the institutional sense of allowing year-on-year
>> planning of classes and recruitment of students, as well as, of course, the
>> staying power of UCSD as a much longer running process than the
>> collaboration itself.  But this can only explain the brute sense of our
> [...]

Arturo J Escandon
Associate Professor
Department of Spanish and Latin-American Studies
Nanzan University
18 Yamazato-cho, Showa-ku
Nagoya, 466-8673 JAPAN

Tel: +81 (52) 832 3111 (extension 3604)