Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

Well, bankruptcies can still make more than a few very rich, so the "we"
and "our" in this building of habitable imaginaries presupposes a prior set
of other imaginaries through to come together anew, and perhaps
differently, even if we think we know each other --or, in other words, to
give each other space to be other things, to be strangers in creative ways
in order to have any hope of reinventing and in*forming what we do in such
a way to make it more hospitable.

As it happens, one tendril that continues to pass through Town and Country,
but is now much more active elsewhere in southeast San Diego, is a strong
connection to the food system change movement, which another graduate
student at LCHC is exploring after having dwelt for a while at T&C.  Here
is one of its core members, Diane Moss (quoted in
http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/people/q_and_a/article_cde3547e-f6b1-11e0-bfba-001cc4c03286.html
)
who we know personally, answering a few questions in a way that concretizes
the shape of a few new imaginaries that we here at LCHC have been drawn
into:

*What happened when you came back from that workshop in 2008?*

I started seeing empty lots and seeing they could be used for other
purposes. I saw that we probably had the ability to grow our own food.

I bet on any block in southeastern San Diego, somebody's growing something
in their backyard: collard greens, corn. We started looking at how we could
take that talent and start having conversations about collective growing or
community gardens. Even though we didn't use the term "food desert" at that
time, we talked about why we didn't have the same markets everyone else has.

*Why didn't you like "food desert"?*

I thought desert meant nothing — that you had nothing to build on. I said,
well, we've got people who grow things. We're not starting from scratch.

But I embraced it when I became familiar with another definition: that
there are more fast food outlets than fresh food outlets.

*You hadn't thought about access to good food in this community as a
problem before 2008?*

Southeastern San Diego always gets tagged as a community with lots of
problems. So here was another negative tag people put on this community. I
saw that we didn't have the resources we needed, but I didn't think of it
in terms of a food desert.

*What have been the biggest challenges to getting people involved?*

People say yes, we should have gardens. But it's difficult for people to
change their habits.

*How do you change habits?*

It takes time. Neighbors talking to neighbors. People taking a chance to do
something different.

-------
LCHC has been fortunate beyond any expectation to have entered into this
new collaboration and the mesh of actors it pulls together.

Ivan