Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

On your first point Arturo. I think you make valid points in relation to Yrjo's and Mike's articles. Jaakko Virkkunen tried to go further and introduce a broad consideration of the wider social and historical context, and I found the effort laughable and abandoned reading his article after a few pages. I appreciated the insights in Yrjo's theoretical section, which I shared earlier, but as you say, it is all based on the fact that management has already invited him in as an expert with a brief to facilitate change. Like Steve Gabosch, I have been through a number of these exercises as an employee and the supposed "empowerment" of employees these guys go on about is a charade. I am sure Yrjo is not like any of those I experienced, but my own interest comes from experiences in organising change in the teeth of opposition from management, and it is very different.

On your final paragraph, you refer to some true things, Arturo, but things I take to be the core concerns of CHAT.

Andy

Arturo Escandon wrote:
Hi Andy.

While I believe Mike et al's paper is outstanding and inspiring, I do
not see an analysis of the macro structures that shape that kind of
intervention.

What I miss from accounts of procedures is a language of description
of the general context in which the intervention or mutual
appropriation is going to be carried out. Again, the "context" is
given almost for granted and assumed to be constant.

When some institution in Finland gives funding to a researcher to get
another organisation sorted out by means of an intervention it is
proof of the kind of research and consultancy culture Finland has
developed over decades. Where does the power to implement the right
intervention come from. It does not come from from the internal
"contradictions" of the activity system but from a culture that is
able to recognise the values of such an implementation, a research
culture embedded in political and social systems that legitimate those
interventions. In other words, a culture that is able to grasp and
solve contradictions creatively before they reach a political
standstill or social crisis. So here you have the researcher taking a
vantage point. Overall, this reminds me of the business consultancy
that is commissioned by top authorities of a given industry. You need
some form of umbrella authority that paves the way to recognising the
intervention as valid (you need a credible authority).

In Mike's case, the power comes from the implicit recognition of
social bankruptcy. That is a case which better resembles many
situations where neoliberalism and public policy have failed big time,
and therefore I see it has the chance to be applied in many more
contexts than the plain intervention depicted in the papers written by
Engestrom and his colleagues. The researcher cannot take a vantage
point but agents are willing to give a try just because everything
else has failed.

I have seen Japanese researchers trying to implement interventions
shaped by the principles given by Yrjo. They fail again and again not
because they do not apply those principles or fail to use the right
unit of analysis but because their mandate is ridiculously limited and
they lack a principle of authority (are you able to change the
educational system or even the culture of one particular school with
one single case study that took months to arrange against all odds,
despite the fierce opposition from agents involved?). In such a
context, intervention is seen as a technical tool or method, not as a
philosophical principle or methodology. Where you can implement mutual
appropriation in Japan? Well in communities in Fukushima that have
witnessed their government's failure in dealing with the nuclear
crisis and no longer trust it.

The issue of the unconscious. I believe the notion of subject in CHAT
is that the subject emerges after taking position by means of an
attempt in appropriating cultural tools: the processs of objectivation
of the subject and subjetivation of the object. But mastery is not
rational. Subjects use words before they know their meaning.
Pseudoconcepts are used before truly concepts are formed. Complete
sets of conceptual systems are mastered before one has a clear idea of
what those systems are for or their affordances. How do we deal with
implicit semiotic mediation in the intervention? The unconscious is
underneath the tension between sense and meaning. The sign ties,
establishes relations, but also produces breaks and disjoints.

Best

Arturo