Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

On 26 October 2011 22:25, Linda Polin <linda.polin@pepperdine.edu> wrote:

> why does the discussion of constructivism jump us to programming (Papert,
> aside for the moment).

I think we value the material revealed by these jumps.  Someone had a
thought and shared it.

Programming is part of a domain of articulated intentionality, of
penetrating reality.  The issue with simplified environments is the minimal
penetration.  One is limited to a scope that was designed for.  The spirit
of programming goes beyond this to a deeper appreciation of processes.

> there are some terrific possibilities in significantly more playful spaces,
> e.g., Minecraft and Arduinos:
>
> Minecraft goes from a sort of virtual Lego buiding experience
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWJqCWetH-c&feature=relmfu
>
> ... to logic gates and advanced construction of working machines.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB684ym3QY4
>
> Arduinos involves very simple programming as well, but it is a more
> tangible interface, literally:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xCY2K9kQz4

Embedded systems for kids.  :)   Lego mindstorms is worth a look too.

Huw