Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

> I would be very interested to hear about various people's encounters with
> Scratch. Its a terrifically interesting enterprise that xmca o philes
> should
> a variety of equally interesting
> opinions about.
>
> mike

Scratch uses smalltalk.  I found this page interesting:

http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Squeak_Tutorial

I've had a quick look at Scratch.  It looks like a GUI language for
animating 'sprites'.  Looks fun.

I'm familiar with Alan Kay's Squeakland.  I think the entry time (entry
level) is more significant with Squeakland -- the interface is more
abstract.  Though this also gives much more depth of expression and
creation.

The Squeakland depth seems like a good intermediary between Scratch and
vanilla smalltalk.  I suspect kids would struggle to get beyond the
immediate limits of Scratch.  Is there a meta-scratch too for adding their
own functions?  Though perhaps the idea is that when they know what a
function they expand into other programming languages?

Huw