Re: [xmca] Cultural memory

Andy,
I'm showing my biases here but I think that the linguistic relativity
arguments (esp. Sapir and Whorf) are some of the best for showing mediation.
The problem is that doing it right requires some sophistication in another
language that is considerably different from one's own language. You can
make interesting arguments when you only consider words to word translations
but the problem with this is that there are many ways of indicating concepts
by other means, particularly pragmatic or grammatical. Whorf's best work
makes the relativity argument through an analysis of grammatical categories.
Unfortunately, these are much tougher to describe to people without some
language training (and I think that David Ke has, through the years, given
excellent examples of deep structural differences between, for
example, Korean and English). Then the question is how do you establish that
this difference in language makes a difference in thought a) without begging
the question by presupposing a universal categorical distinction to begin
with (e.g., using Munsell color chips to force speakers to create color
groupings even if the color terms in their language include other features
that are not present in the flat/textureless color chips) or b) presupposing
the lack of a universal categorical distinction (e.g., arguing that the
languages are incommensurate to begin with and thus no meaningful
comparisons can reasonably be made)? Both positions need to be avoided but
this is extremely difficult to do in practice.

Benjamin Whorf has some easier pieces that do a pretty good job of making
the relativity argument using data that are fairly accessible. I've attached
one of Whorf's easier essays, Languages and Logic, but be sure to take the
examples slowly - it is easy to miss the nuance of language differences. It
is a response to logical positivism but also has a healthy argument
regarding the relationship of language and thought (and note on p. 239 where
he says that there is something like "mind" prior to language - to the point
of calling language a "superficial embroidery" on the mind; but also pay
close attention to his qualification of "superficial" that follows!). (and
for those familiar with Kant, I think you'll see that there is good reason
to think of Whorf as neo-Kantian).

Anyway, this is one of my favorite pieces and it has all the bits of the
argument but without asking too much linguistic sophistication of a monoglot
reader (like myself!). Maybe it will provide some ideas of how to argue for
the primacy of language (even if it is a "superficial" primacy!).
Happy to chat more or address this reading or offer up more Whorf if there
is an appetite. But best to digest slowly and in small pieces.

-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
Department of Communication