From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sat 10/15/2011 5:38 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Cultural memory

Of course you are right Greg that language, whether spoken or written,
is the mediating artefact par excellence. But not everyone recognises
words as specifically mediating artefacts. The dominant trend of
interactionism today regards interactions as a subject-to-subject dyad,
and subsumes within each subject their knowledge and facility with
language use. So the status of words as artefacts existing prior to and
independently of the interacting individuals is invisible. Indeed, the
actually words do not exisat prior to the interaction, only the "model"
for them, so to speak. The distinction between a text (i.e., the written
word) and speech in this context is just that those who do not come from
Cultural Psychology or Activity Theory do not take speech as a mediating
artefact, but rather a function of the subject. This allows them to
pretend that a culture is recreated from scratch every moment as people
interact, and the subject's memory and continuing language-ability is
the only thing guaranteeing the existence of culture, recreating
appropriate words in the course of evey interaction.

I agree with you that the distinction between text and speech is
entirely secondary but in the context of arguing for the very idea of
mediating artefacts it becomes important, because my protagonist just
doesn't see the point of considering mediating artefacts, i.e., material
objects with social significance, at all. This is what forces me on to
the territory of "cultural memory." If cultural memory can be plausibly
explained without recourse to the idea of mediating artefacts, then it
is just as Deborah suggested, we must agree to disagree, it's just a
difference of preference.

Do you see what I am getting at?
Andy

<<winmail.dat>>