[xmca] Reflections on the topic of delayed adulthood

A month or so ago the topic of "developmental stages" and "adolescence" was
discussed.
I've just read a book review of "Lost in Translation: The Dark Side of
Emerging Adulthood" by Christian Smith et al. [reviewed in the Economist
September 17, 2011.] It has left me pondering, not on "stages" but rather on
"transitions" between activity systems. Within transitional activities
"breaches" to social interactions and "ruptures" of active experience can be
observed and reflected on. Our cultural tool kits have developed to respond
to somewhat predictable activitiy settings such as "schooling" and the
"transitions" to more "formal institutional organizations" of employment.
We have developed texts and genres to assist in the transition. However, the
book exploring being lost in transition is pointing to breaches and ruptures
in our collective activities that are now unravelling.

In todays transition there is a dark side of apathy, confusion, loss, and
grief. [breaches and ruptures]. Christian Smith suggests at the core of this
breach is a loss of moral boundaries. Young adults have been taught not just
to TOLERATE other people's views and practices but to see them as all
equally valid. Where there is a question of others questionable behavior a
standard common answer is that it is up to each individual to decide for
himself. Right and wrong is rooted in personal experience and there is no
reference point outside the personal standpoint.

The response as remedy for Smith is to "alert the parents" that in teaching
tolerance we are failing to ensure that our children understand how to FRAME
MORAL ISSUES and MAKE JUDGEMENTS ABOUT right conduct and what is the good
life. It is this remedy to the breaches and ruptures in transition that I
want to reconsider.  This approach to moral accounts locates the response as
"personal" reasoning and making judgements and "personally" framing moral