---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: robert lecusay <rlecusay@ucsd.edu>

Beth Ferholt on Vasilyuk:

Fyodor Vasilyuk (1988) adapts Vygotsky’s use of the term perezhivanie
to describe a form of inter-subjectivity in which we insert ourselves
into the stories of others in order to gain the foresight that allows
us to proceed. He describes perezhivanie as an internal and subjective
labor of “entering into” which is not done by the mind alone, but
rather involves the whole of life or a state of consciousness. And
although, for Vasilyuk, perezhivanie is the direct sensation or
experience of mental states and processes, another person is needed
for this experience. It is this inclusion of another that allows a
person to overcome and conquer despair through perezhivanie.

Vasilyuk (1988), who is working from within the framework of cultural
historical activity theory, gives us at once a broader and more
specific definition of perezhivanie than does Vygotsky. But he has not
actually moved further from the non-technical definition of the word
“perezhivanie.” As Robbins explains:

“(P)erezhivat” means, if you look at it closely, that you have passed
as if above something that had made you feel pain ... There, inside of
a recollection that we call an “again living” –lives your pain. It is
the pain that doesn’t let you forget what has happened. And you keep
on coming back to it in your memory, keep living through it over and
over again, until you discover that you have passed through it, and
have survived. (2007a, no page number)