Re: [xmca] Space, neighbourhood, dwelling in, in*formation as notions with a "family resemblance"

Christine, I am never reallay clear on what people mean when they refer to an idea being "linear." I was brought up in applied mathematics where the ideas of linear and non-linear had very specific meanings, but I don't get what people mean outside of this, other than it referring to something they don't like.
Andy
christine schweighart wrote:
Andy,
I hear your appreciation in a big break from categorizing as primary. I just haven't got really clear in learning from my own thinking experience how relational formation happens in conceptualisation. It's apparent after its produced itself. I have just jumped in and I'm not familiar with Ingold but he seems not to be researching by changing and influencing ,so maybe there's a difference because of ethnographic method? Stages do seem to be useful as metaphor because in that there is 'transition', but perhaps 'line' symbolises something that hides more ( i.e relationally) by removing boundary in it's absolute sense. Going back to organic formation for inspiration, but also to learn from 'living', natures form is not 'boundary lines' , which was something I was exploring thinking about non-causal relations ( after Maturana). Hence my fairly literal pointing out that 'line' isn't indexical to organic formations of organisms boundary relations and structures.

 I came to that after trying to recognise formation, and  a desire to make accessible through recogising conceptual relational thinking consciously  forming as a 'tool' in environmental management education practice, which in acquisition changes a horizon of possibility. ( Yet accounts of studying this as dual-stimulation , don't appear  for me in  'reverse' in Davydov's instruction guiding formal teaching. I am attracted to understand/ make practical action guided by  principles informed/ing dual stimulation, but  also suspect that we could align better through learning from organic formation in crafting conceptual tools . In this on-going living is always in the present, hence the notion of linear time being a tool of our invention. Maturana's recursion relies upon it though he also recognises its creation in our cognition.  Here is an example from Maturana:
--To distinguish something as a system of processes ( circular organisation) it needs to encounter another linear domain ( the medium) that displaces it, that in our perception of both, recognises iterations and produces a new phenomenon . One example is a wheel turning, which becomes circular against the linear ground/, where in distance covered the phenomemon of movement appears. ---
 Dual stimulation as  displacement actions in activity doesn't pan out as cleanly as this non-organic example of a new horizon of possibility phenomena appearing. So maybe 'linear' is not as helpful as we think it is.
Ruminations more than gestures for the forum , I suspect. Though I have a strong feeling over-focus on categorizing does not lend itself to help developmental movement in thinking skills for project work affecting the natural environment. Thanks, Christine. I do take "lines" as potentially a big break in conceptualisation. I take it in the sense of lines (lines of development, lines of events, lines of thought, lines of action, blood lines, ...) as opposed to groups or cateogries or things. So it actually functions to do away with boundaries (boundary lines), focus on which is almost always a disease.