Re: [xmca] Space, neighbourhood, dwelling in, in*formation as notions with a "family resemblance"

The passage you quoted still has me thinking, Ivan.
The following bit has me thinking about the fact that on Monday I start to
conduct a grad course on "mediational theories of mind":

*To avoid the contradictions entailed in assuming that human environmental
relations are mediated by systems of symbolic meaning  – with its absurd
corollary that non-human animals inhabit meaningless worlds – I consider
 the sources of environmental meaning for non-humans and their possible
availability to  humans as well.*

I am anticipating further discussion of this issue in later essays (the book
is a collection of essays wherin Ingold points ahead and back to common
themes
that run throughout the book). But, for now,

i would hazard a guess that Ingold is using meaning in a different framework
that we are used to using in LSV-connected (or Voloshinov connected) way. He
seems to be criticizing those views which *replace *a "direct perception"
relation with a "mediated, indirect" relation of organism and environment.
To me it has always seemed, a la
comments that David Ke made recently, that LSV/ARL (and from this morning's
reading, Voloshinov) we seeking to insert a "thirdness" into human unwelt
that is not present for other trailblazing wayfaring creatures. In Jim
Wertsch's terms, this gives rise to an ineluctable tension between two
structuring influences in human life.

(its the virtue of having a bad cold that one has to stay at home where
where listening to music and reading are about as healthy an alternative as
circumstances permit!).
(Whereas sitting at a computer writing is a bad idea-- so I'll sign off!).

mike