Re: [xmca] Cultural Practices/Activities/etc

And you will share your insights from Ingold with us please, Andy, because
not enough people yet know about your concept of "project", and how it is
developing.
Carol

On 24 August 2011 02:26, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> I've ordered "Being Alive: Essays on Movement, Knowledge and Description,"
> Ingold's book, Mike, to read about his use of the idea of Umwelt. Reading
> the Prologue in the preview on Amazon, I read: "the essence of production
> lies as much or more in the attentional quality of the action - that is, in
> its attunement and responsiveness to /the task as it unfolds/ - and in its
> developmental effects on the producer, as in any images or representations
> of ends to be achieved that may be held up before it."
>
> This idea, which I take to be the /immanence /of the object of the
> activity, is the key revision of the conception of object-oriented Activity,
> I think, and what I call a "project." So, I look forward with interest to
> reading the whole book.
>
> Andy
>

> Huw Lloyd wrote:
>

>> On 23 August 2011 14:10, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com <mailto:
>> lchcmike@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    How about umwelt, Andy?
>>    I warned you the survey was unsophisticated. Just the term
>>    envelope is a
>>    problem because it distinguish the envelope from its contents. Very
>>    difficult to get the "weaving/ co-constituting" impulse into
>>    environment/context/practice. of course, a woven tapestry is "just
>>    static,"
>>    relative to human experience, isn't it?
>>

>> Is this in the same sense of "just going to the moon"?
>>
>> I think that the psychological warmth of the material is also derived from
>> the subject's ability to penetrate the medium.  i.e. the cultural operations
>> the material evokes for him/her in its fabrication (the inverse of
>> alienation).
>>
>> Also with respect to aesthetics, there is the workmanship of risk (David
>> Pye) in addition to the synthesis of sense.
>>
>> Huw
>>

>>    mike
>>
>>    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net
>>     <mailto:ablunden@mira.net>> wrote:
>>
>>    > Mike, reading through your excellent review of the different
>>    concepts of
>>    > context, along with event, situation, activity, practice, etc.,
>>    is that all
>>    > of them conceive of the "supra-individual" object of analysis as
>>    something
>>    > esssentially static, and despite many declarations to the
>>    contrary and
>>    > proofs that individuals can modify their enivironment (by
>>    whatever name) are
>>    > that to which human individuals have to conform. "Event" is a little
>>    > different, at least in the way it is used by some writers, but
>>    generally all
>>    > seem to conceive of context as condition. Although supposed to
>>    be the source
>>    > of motivation (in some versions), they may rise to the level of
>>    being the
>>    > source of reward, but I see nothing which expresses what I
>>    regard as the
> [...]

 "*It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work
to do."*
Visiting Lecturer
Wits School of Education
Research Fellow