[xmca] Fwd: Research Commercialization Introductory Course for Researchers: Starts September 20, 2011

Wanna any hints about which way the wind is blowing around here?
mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Research Commercialization & SBIR Center <announcement@mail1.ncet2.org

Date: Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Subject: Research Commercialization Introductory Course for Researchers:
Starts September 20, 2011
To: Michael Cole <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu>

**

*
Register Now <https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/839561467> for the
Research Commercialization Introductory Course*
starts Monday, September 20, 2011

The *Research Commercialization Introductory Course* is a very popular
online course designed to help science and engineering researchers better
understand how research commercialization works. Generally over *4000
researchers* from across the US take the course each time it is offered.

Research commercialization involves taking articles, documentation,
know-how, patents, and copyrights, which are created during research
activities and getting them to users and patients for real societal impacts.

In some cases, commercialization involved taking patents based on the
research and licensing them to a company. This usually involves also having
the researchers consult to the company. In other cases, commercialization
involves forming or creating a startup and applying to federally funded
commercialization programs. In all cases, though, research commercialization
typically involves defining the nature of the research being commercialized
(e.g., in a patent or intellectual property agreement), establishing a
commercial relationship with another party (e.g., employment, a sale or
license), and negotiating a contract (e.g., compensation).

The Research Commercialization Course is recommended for all science,
engineering and medical researchers in public or private research
institutions (e.g., grad students, post-docs, and faculty). *This is an
indispensable course for S&E grad students looking for jobs in the next 6-18
months in this competitive employment environment. *Please forward to your
students.

Areas covered in the course include intellectual property, patents,
copyrights, trade secrets, trademarks, licensing agreements, employment
agreements, consulting agreements, tech transfer, creating and funding
companies, and federally funded Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)
programs

Each lecture is a live 90-minute online class with Q&A.

*Costs:* This workshop course is offered free of charge but registration is
required.

*Click here to register <https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/839561467>*

*Certificate:* Registered students who achieve 60% or greater on the final
online multiple-choice test at the end of the program will be granted a
Certificate of Successful Completion for this course.

*Class Schedule:*

*Lecture 1: The Importance of Commercializing Research*
Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Lecture 2: Patents, Copyright, Trademarks and Trade Secrets*
Thursday, September 22, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Lecture 3: Employment and Consulting Agreements*
Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Lecture 4: Tech Transfer and Licensing Agreements*
Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Lecture 5: Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Grants*
Thursday, October 6, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Lecture 6: The Research-Intensive Company and Early Stage Funding*
Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Lecture 7: Partnering with SBIR Companies/Large Companies*
Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET

*Some Feedback to Our Courses/Workshops:*
*
"When I first learned about the SBIR funding opportunity, I knew nothing
about starting a business or how to write an SBIR-specific grant. The two
workshops presented by the Research Commercialization and SBIR Center and
the supplemental material provided gave me invaluable information and
guidance on how to navigate the application process and start my own
company. I particularly appreciated the opportunities to review my business
plan and completed SBIR application prior to submission with knowledgeable
and experienced NCET2 consultants. We submitted a strong and polished
application thanks to this program. I highly recommend it to first time
applicants." - Christopher Barry, Ph.D., University of Rochester and
ClarElast LLC

"The feedback that we received was quite valuable and insightful and led us
to make quite a few positive changes to our SBIR application." - Jarett
Rieger, Moffitt Cancer Center

"The NIH and NSF How-to-workshops have been crucial for me to set-up my
business and complete the SBIR application. Going from an idea for a product
that would serve the pursuit of medicine into a small business and a
competitive proposal requires establishing the business and protecting the
intellectual property, assembling a team that can fulfill all the goals, and
writing a strong grant proposal. The how-to-workshops in and of themselves
addressed many of these issues in slide form and followed that up with
relevant articles that have served as an excellent reference. In addition,
the NCET staff assembled committees of experts, people who have worked with
or for the federal agencies, who understood my proposal and knew what it
takes to succeed. At every juncture, when I needed help, those experts were
there. They saw where my proposal was strong and saw ways to make the
proposal stronger-some of their suggestions lead to important
collaborations, and informed me of relevant funding opportunities. They
acted as reviewers, looking over the entire application, alerting me to
inconsistencies and pointing out what needs to be changed. In short, they
saved me a great deal of time, at least one cycle, and made my proposal much
more likely to succeed. The workshops and staff has done my business and me
a great service and I am grateful for that." - Anton Khabbaz, Ph.D.,
Precision Stereotaxic Devices LLC
*

*Co-Organizers and Co-Moderators:*

*Ali Andalibi*
Program Director
National Cancer Institute
SBIR Development Center
National Institutes of Health

*Clara Asmail*
Sr. Technical Advisor, NIST Manufacturing Extension Partnership
formerly SBIR Program Manager
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP)

*Frank Barros*
SBIR Program Analyst
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

*Steve Ferguson*
Deputy Director, Licensing & Entrepreneurship
Office of Technology Transfer
National Institutes of Health

*Juan E. Figueroa*
Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnership
National Science Foundation

*Tony Stanco*
Executive Director
National Council Of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer

*Christine Villa*
Principal Consultant, DOD SBIR/STTR Programs

*For more information about this webinar contact us at support@ncet2.org or
visit http://center.ncet2.org*

* If you are unable to view/click on the registration link, contact us at
support@ncet.org

This is a commercial email. Please read carefully to remove your email from
our lists. You are on an email list of the National Council of
Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer (NCET2.org). To remove yourself from ALL NCET2
Lists reply with "Remove" in the subject from the email address you want
removed. MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE "REMOVE' IN THE SUBJECT LINE and return to
this email address only FROM THE EMAIL YOU WANT REMOVED. THIS IS AN
UNATTENDED AUTOMATED EMAIL ANNOUNCEMENT ACCOUNT. DO NOT SEND EMAIL TO IT
EXCEPT REMOVE EMAILS. To email us questions or comments, email
support@ncet2.org. To report complaints, email abuse@ncet2.org. National
Council of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer (NCET2.org), 2020 Pennsylvania Ave,
NW, Suite 140, Washington, DC,
20006<announcement@mail1.ncet2.org?subject=remove%20%28code:%20UlM/ZT1tY29sZUB3ZWJlci51Y3NkLmVkdSZsPTEmcz0xOTg3JmQ9MTkw%29>