Re: [xmca] RE: The Social Creation of Inequality

Yes, what I took from David's story was that the developers created all the symbols for their housing project first, and then realised the project. This is the "idealist" side of social action, I guess. The "materialist" side is that people find themselves already involved in some problematic practice, and then name it, and this name then becomes the symbol around which a social movement is organised.

And yes, I do see this business of seeing social "structures" and "groups" in terms of *projects* as opening the way to using Vygotsky's ideas about tools and symbols mediating actions as the foundation of consciousness, and thus bringing psychology and social theory into fruitful engagement with each other,

Andy

mike cole wrote:
I was too captivated by the vividness and precision with which David describes these events to keep track of the concept/project part of the discussion. The image of your mother in law in such straits, of the city itself in such straits, of the "solution" coming as the inversion that it does.

I still do not have project and concept straightened out. But I take it that that the relationship is, so to speak, bi-lateral. Symmetrical or not I leave to you. This way of posting the issue seems to speak to the idea of tool and symbol.

Thanks
mike