Re: [xmca] Merleau-Ponty and Vygotsky

I figured you would be interested in the way M-P is circulating around this
and related discussions, Larry.

Right now my wife has our copy of *Metaphysical Club* with the turned down
pages.
She has picked out some other relevant passages. I asked Tony a while back
about
the book because, in addition to finding it fascinating and relevant to xmca
discussions, I was uncertain of the interpretation of Pierce .

This speaks to the complaints about relying on interpreters, as Anton and
Miller are advocating. Terrible to rely on interpreters, I agree. Just hard
to avoid relying on them all the time. I fear wading into Pierce.

With Merleau-Ponty I was so caught by his talk on people seen from the
outside, I have been pondering over that text ever since. The new Ingold
book, suggested by
Joe Glick, really interests me because it brings Gibson together with M-P in
such an
interesting way. This overlaps work I have been doing trying to understand
the affinities between Gibson and Russian followers of the Vygotsky group,
fractured as it may have been, in the 30 years following his death.

(The first American to go on the psychology exchange that Jim Wertsch and I
eventually went on was a gibsonian, as well as a developmentalist, Herb
Pick, and his wife, who also worked in that tradition).

I am not sure how to take the discussion. There are a lot of affinities, a
lot of overlaps, a lot of incomplete knowledge on all sides. It is not easy
to discuss in any organized way. Perhaps, just enticing invitations to check
things out? (John Shotter would be great to include in the discussion, why
not try enticing him!?).

Whither?
mike